• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Rating Update
« on: March 08, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Andres Martinez
ID 1098399

Hello!!

I am new to this forum and I wonder if here I can address this.
I presented my Basic controller test and my S1 Sudent test and passed but my rating still Observer/Pilot on the Vatuza roster at NYARTCC
I can't start controlling until my rating is updated as student. Who I can adress this or somebody here can contact for me the right person in charge of this?
Besides that hi to everyone, I am happy to start working hard with you guys and expect to meet a lot of you to learn and make lot of friends.
An advice to this rookie will be ok  jeje.
Superior Airspace control

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:26:21 PM »
Contact the training staff in New York:

[email protected]

Keep in mind that the rating exam is only one piece of the puzzle. You must also have a demonstration of your competency as a tower controller before receiving the S-1 rating. Your local training staff will assist you with your training and also assess your competency.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:27:15 PM by Alex Bailey »

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »
Quote from: Andres Martinez
Andres Martinez
ID 1098399

Hello!!

I am new to this forum and I wonder if here I can address this.
I presented my Basic controller test and my S1 Sudent test and passed but my rating still Observer/Pilot on the Vatuza roster at NYARTCC
I can't start controlling until my rating is updated as student. Who I can adress this or somebody here can contact for me the right person in charge of this?
Besides that hi to everyone, I am happy to start working hard with you guys and expect to meet a lot of you to learn and make lot of friends.
An advice to this rookie will be ok  jeje.

Andres,

I have fixed your rating on the NYARTCC website. I have also checked on your VATSIM S1 rating, and it is pending. You should be able to log in as an S1 in 24 hours or less.
Nicola Felini
Regional Director
North America Region
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p168/npappagiorgio/site_logo.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
How was his competency assessed?

John Cierpial

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:21:49 AM »
Alex,

His competency for S1 was assessed via the VATUSA S1 test.  For local procedures, his competency has been measured by passing the ZNY Minor Tower written exam.

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
The following are the S-1 requirements which have been outlined in the VATUSA Controller Ratings Guidelines document that all TA's agreed upon and then confirmed again in our meeting back near the end of last year. This is the "Student Level Practical Exam Evaluation" form. You can find the entire document in the staff training forum below, most recently in the "Friendly Reminder" post.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Pre-Control Setup
and Configuration

1. Radar Program Configuration
2. Network Procedures
3. Position Relief Briefing
Flight Plan
Procedures
4. Accessing Flight Strip Data
5. Flight Plan Amendments
6. Follow Preferred Routing Procedures
7. Non-Standard Routing Procedures

Clearance Delivery
Procedures

8. VFR and IFR Clearance Procedures
9. Squawk Code Assignments
10. Clearance Issuance
Ground Control
Procedures
11. Movement and Non-Movement
Areas
12. Taxi and Ground Movement Ops
13. Helicopter Taxi Operations

Local Control
Procedures

14. Runway Selection
15. ATIS Issuance
16. Spacing and Sequencing
17. TIPH and LAHSO Operations
18. VFR Traffic Pattern
19. Wake Turbulence Separation
20. Converging or Parallel Runway Ops
21. Missed Approach Procedures[/quote]

Andres Martinez

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:08:56 AM »
Quote from: Alex Bailey
The following are the S-1 requirements which have been outlined in the VATUSA Controller Ratings Guidelines document that all TA's agreed upon and then confirmed again in our meeting back near the end of last year. This is the "Student Level Practical Exam Evaluation" form. You can find the entire document in the staff training forum below, most recently in the "Friendly Reminder" post.
Thank you all for your input, I will contact my ARTCC to get the Student Level Practical Exam Evaluation, I am trying to do my best to follow all the proper guidelines.
The proper information needed have found it only trough the forum.
As may I do an advice, this is just my own rookie opinion, the proper information for New applicants is not clear enough. An step by step guide for new applicants should be made in one place. This is my example:

1.Welcome guide(What is this, what we do, how we do it, who are we, in a very entusiast way to provide interest)
2. Step by step evaluation process to start controlling.(Who and where to ask for questions an any part of the process)
    a-Software download and instalation(User guide for new starters, how to connect as an observer)
    b-Policies for observers(Be aware what you can and can't do)
    c-Basic Controller test(Where to find all proper knowledge for the test, when, where and what to expect if fails).
    d-VATUSA S1 student test (Where to find all proper knowledge for the test, when, where and what to expect if fails).
    e-Student Level Practical Exam Evaluation (Where to find all proper knowledge for the test, when, where and what to expect if fails).
    f-Local minor Tower exam.(Where to find all proper knowledge for the test, when, where and what to expect if fails).
    g-Certification to control minor airports( Now you can start you training for a mayor airpor and how to do it.)
3. Step indicator.(Where is the applicant acording the current process and where to go or do next)

This is just an example of what I will like to find when I went trough all this process in just one place, I know all this information is here but you have to find it jumping in different webpages(Of course you must go to different websites, its just saying a list of which ones)and sometimes you feel lost on what to do next, so your only resource is the forum where you must wait for and answer to find out what you need or miss to do. Couldn't we do something a litle more friendly and clear for new applicants in one place telling them where to go and what to do? Will this provide better information releasing staff members, instructors and mentors time so they can focus on controllers issues?

This is just an idea, is not to be intended to critizism or complain, I have lot of administration skills that will like to put on service for your staff and will be more than happy to help on anything I can in provide a better organization. I know I have a long way to go and a lot to learn, I am trying to do my best to learn every day. Thanks.
Superior Airspace control

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 12:41:02 PM »
Andres,

Thanks for taking the time to prepare your suggestion. In a way, this already exists. VATUSA provides the "New Members Click Here" link which is an easy step by step process to get assigned to an ARTCC. It should then be the ARTCC's job to provide an easy step by step training syllabus, which many have you just need to check their policies section. New York has an excellent training manual that outlines each step that needs to be taken, assuming it is followed  

It would be difficult for me to create a welcome guide as you have described because each facility does things a little bit differently. That's why it is left up to each ARTCC to lay out the road map for you.

I have an idea or two that I'm currently considering whether to act on or not. If I choose to do so, I'll get in contact with you to discuss your skills and experience.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:41:46 PM by Alex Bailey »

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »
Quote from: Alex Bailey
How was his competency assessed?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]Alex,

His competency for S1 was assessed via the VATUSA S1 test. For local procedures, his competency has been measured by passing the ZNY Minor Tower written exam.[/quote]

I don't know that this is the place for this conversation.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:58:44 PM by Nicholas Falcicchio »
Nicola Felini
Regional Director
North America Region
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p168/npappagiorgio/site_logo.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
Rating Update
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 02:49:05 PM »
Nick,

There is a topic pertaining to situations similar to this one in the Training Admin forum, which your ATM/DATM/TA all have access to. Hope that clears this up