How to find/evaluate the right ARTCC for me?

Chad Harris

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
I've been a member of VATSIM for many moons, and SATCO before that, and I've taken numerous stabs at really getting into ATC training, trying to find the right training approach for me, and more importantly, the region and ARTCC/FIR that provided the best fit. It's been tough, to say the least. Now, I'm back, looking at diving back into the world of virtual ATC, and more determined than ever to not let my past struggles trip me up.

What I am struggling with right now, however, is trying to figure out which ARTCC is the best fit for me. I know back in the olden days, there had been a really nice overview of the various ARTCCs, their traffic levels, their training programs, and the like that was on the VATUSA website. Redesigns and updates no doubt rendered it obsolete, which no doubt led to it no longer being available. I get that...but it's also sad. I'm in need of a little insight and guidance, and a setup like that would've been great.

Failing that, though...is the best way to get a feel for an ARTCC to simply peruse the websites? Like I said, I'm just having difficulty figuring out where I want to really dive into controlling -- I'm bound and determined to not let myself give up this time, but I also know that I no doubt need to do a solid review of the basics that would normally be presumed to be "mastered" by the presence of my current S2 rating.

So I guess this has all been a long-winded way of asking: how did you settle on your ARTCC and discover it to be the right fit? I've got a "short list", based on things I've gleaned from reading the forums and from watching traffic levels in Servinfo, as well as just being places where, for one reason or another, I kinda feel like I'd be "at home" controlling. I just need to figure out which direction to go, and thought I'd ask for a bit o' insight on how y'all ended up where you are.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Lowe

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 01:35:13 AM »
I picked Oakland ARTCC because
1: It's where I live in real life.  
2:  They have ample amounts of air traffic going through it
3:  They seem to have enough instructors and mentors available and willing to teach so that your training will never get stuck.

I think that the last two are the most important points.  You might want to try looking at the forums of the ARTCC that you're interested in joining, as some of the quieter ARTCCs haven't had posts in months.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:36:11 AM by Christopher Lowe »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
I wouldn't say that browsing through a website is going to be a great indicator of how the ARTCC runs. I guess ZDV is a case in point. Being an instructor and ATM, the website has to take a back seat to the primary goal of training students and being online as a controller.

I'd say a good indicator, however, would be to check out the ARTCC Teamspeak servers on a weekend evening and see what the people are like. There's that method, and then there's observing on VRC, looking at traffic levels, talking with controllers, etc. I'd advise trying to narrow it down to a small handful instead of going through all 22 of us in VATUSA.

One thing to note throughout all of VATUSA's divisions is that you're going to find a shortage of something everywhere. There are ARTCCs dying for instructional staff and support staff like webmasters or facility engineers. Usually that does not mean the ARTCC is poorly run, but rather the pool of people who used to fill these roles has gotten smaller. You really have to check out the ARTCC's people before you can figure out which one you want to become a part of.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
Chad,

Harold brings up some excellent points.  At Boston, we place our emphasis on controller quality, teamwork and fun.  The website, though it suits our needs, just ain't fancy.  

The other thing we're missing, like most ARTCCs I'm sure, it a ton of instructional staff that's available whenever you want it.  That said, our controllers get trained, and the ones that train with us, that stay patient and dedicated, become excellent controllers and generally have fun to boot.  All of our training material and syllabi are available on our website.  We require you to read first, try to understand, and then work with our instructional staff to supplement book learning with practical, hands-on learning.

Want some insight into the Boston experience?  Check out www.bostonartcc.net and more importantly, view this video at least 6 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUS0S_xoFM

Whether you end up at Boston or not, I wish you all the best, and we're all happy to help and answer any questions you have.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:48:51 PM by Don Desfosse »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
Quote from: Don Desfosse
Want some insight into the Boston experience?  Check out www.bostonartcc.net and more importantly, view this video at least 6 times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUS0S_xoFM
I'm calling you out on false advertising with the vSTARS overlay. Hahah kidding. NICE video.

Chad Harris

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:23:57 PM »
Thanks a lot for the insight, guys. I'll definitely try to pop into ARTCC TS servers over the weekend at the facilities that are on my short list. Out of the 22, I've at least gotten it narrowed down to 4, so that makes things easier.  I just want to try and get my experience right this time, and I know finding a good fit is gonna be an important step in that. I know that no facility is going to be a "perfect fit" in terms of offering the "best" of everything, but I figure I can try to at least get close! I not only want an ARTCC where I feel like part of the team, but also want to do what I can to really give back as much as I get, in terms of helping others and also getting to learn procedures at the smaller, "less popular" airports.

And Don, Boston's not on my short list, unfortunately, despite currently living only a couple of miles from one of its Class Charlies, but I watched the video, and all I can say is:   . How anyone could not wanna be a controller on the network after watching that is beyond me!

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:54:53 AM »
Not a problem, Chad.  You and we all want you to be happy, challenged and have fun.  With the thought that you are putting into it, I have no doubt that you'll do just fine.  Have fun, and see you on the scopes!

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 03:10:16 AM »
Don't know if Minneapolis is on your short list or not, but trust me when I say what we lack in traffic count we more than make up for with a welcoming community atmosphere and a strong commitment to friendly, proficient ATC services. If that's the sort of thing you're looking for, stop by Minnie's Bar & Late Night Lounge (our TS server), and say hi!

Chad Harris

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:54:44 AM »
Dhruv, thanks for the invite!  I actually used to control in ZMP. I was looking over my stats, and my last shift there was logged at KLNK as a ground controller in July of 2004, and I remember the experience even then to be very welcoming and the staff top-notch.  I picked ZMP back then because I was born in its airspace (a few miles from KOMA and KCBF) and spent my earliest years there, becoming fascinated by aviation because we'd constantly have traffic from KOFF fly over our little home in the Iowa countryside. I had a blast working the airspace, even though most of my work was at the DEL and GND level, which I know many newer ATC students find "boring". I'm glad to see the same welcoming spirit and dedication to training is still present!

I've been reluctant to post my list and say: "this is where I'm thinking about", because I don't wanna ruffle any feathers or turn this thread into some kind of recruitment thread, ya know? But I'm definitely going to take the suggestions here and work them into my process.

Thank you very much, guys!

Nicholas Cavacini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
Just a little note with teamspeak servers, many ARTCCs don't allow public access, don't let this discourage you though. Many ATMs will grant you access for a day or two to see what happens on a day to day basis.

For example, ZMA (Miami) has a restricted teamspeak system where you can't even get access without being on the roster.

Chad Harris

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful answers and insights, gentlemen! After a lot of thought, I've decided to return to my controlling roots and pack my bags for ZMP.  Looking forward to joining the ranks of the scope jockeys again!

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
We'll see you working the other side of the border .

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 03:58:38 AM »
Congrats on your selection, Chad.  ZMP has a top notch crew and program.  You won't be disappointed.  Enjoy!

Caleb Rappel

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Just have fun controlling!