STAR Question - PMDG Jetstream 41

Brad Olsen

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »
Recently I switched from 737-800 to flying the PMDG Jetstream 41. With change in aircraft, I also noticed shorter flights and slower speeds. My usual STAR's that I like to fly are noted as "Turbojet aircraft only." Does this mean that planes with turbojet engines are only permitted? The Jetstream 41 does have 2 turbojet engines, but they are technically turboprops.

#1 Can anyone explain what the rules are for a STAR that NOTE: Turbojet aircraft only?

#2 Simply put, does the Jetstream 41 qualify to fly a STAR that NOTE: Turbojet aircraft only?

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 11:08:31 AM »
edit: I can't read. will answer more later
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:09:26 AM by Ryan Geckler »

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:23 PM »
Quote from: Brad Olsen
Recently I switched from 737-800 to flying the PMDG Jetstream 41. With change in aircraft, I also noticed shorter flights and slower speeds. My usual STAR's that I like to fly are noted as "Turbojet aircraft only." Does this mean that planes with turbojet engines are only permitted? The Jetstream 41 does have 2 turbojet engines, but they are technically turboprops.

#1 Can anyone explain what the rules are for a STAR that NOTE: Turbojet aircraft only?

#2 Simply put, does the Jetstream 41 qualify to fly a STAR that NOTE: Turbojet aircraft only?

Yes if the chart has labeled Turbojet aircraft only, your Jetsream would not qualify to fly that particular arrival or departure as it is a Turboprop.

The reason this is done is to separate the two type of aircraft based on speed. When trying to sequence traffic it many times is easier to have the turboprops and turbojets fly different paths than to have a turbojet try to drastically reduce speed to remain in trail with a leading turboprop.

All of ATL's RNAV SIDS are Turbojet only. While the props not only get the ATL6 departure they also get radar vectors to an entirely different area for their initial climb. Again so the other jets waiting to depart do not end up in the props tail.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:04:57 PM by William A Lewis »

Scott DeWoody

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 02:59:55 AM »
Quote from: William A Lewis
Yes if the chart has labeled Turbojet aircraft only, your Jetsream would qualify to fly that particular arrival or departure as it is a Turboprop.

Hmmm, now I'm confused, in all my years of flying I don't recall ever hearing a "turboprop" being allowed to fly a "turbojet only" SID or STAR.

The way I read it is "turbojet" only.... and "turboprops" are definitely NOT "turbojets".  They are gas turbine engines with a prop coupled to them through a reduction gear box.

BUT..... I may be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:04:23 AM by Scott DeWoody »

William Lewis

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
 Ok, the word "not" was defiantly in there. Typo on my part I guess , but I hope the rest of the post shows the correct answer.