Advice on Joining an ARTCC

Chris Field

• Members
    • View Profile
Advice on Joining an ARTCC
« on: December 15, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
I recently joined VATSIM and VATUSA in order to get into ATC. It's just that I want to learn something new. I am usually online in the late hours of UTC (19-24) which kind of equals to something between afternoon west coast and evening east cost. That's probably not the preferred time for most of you to be online and mentor some random dude on the web...

So I am wondering if there are any ARTCCs that can/ already do offer training at those times of the day? I don't want to join an ARTCC just to find out nobody's there when I am...

Feel free to advertise your ARTCC shamelessly  ::) I am aware there's no such thing as pure objectivity - so don't worry....

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
Re: Advice on Joining an ARTCC
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
I’ve got you covered!

Join HCF (Honolulu)  ;D
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Krikor Hajian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »
Welcome to VATSIM/VATUSA! It really does depend on which facility you go to, but afternoons/evenings (as well as weekends) tend to be the busier times at most US facilities that I've seen, as people will log online once they're home from school/work, done with dinner, kids, spouse, real world flying, etc. As well, most facilities retain a team of mentors and instructors to train new students, and make sure that they're active and can cover different times. At my facility (Boston), we have controllers from all around, from Scandinavia to the US West coast, all of whom have been able to receive training and progress through the ranks.

I also recommend that you think a little about where you want to go, and then send an email to the facility if you have any questions. What kind of community do you want? Is there any location/airport(s) that have special meaning to you? Etc, etc. Many facilities have their general policies (or even SOPs) publicly available on their websites. Most Air Traffic Managers (who are in charge of their respective facilities) can be reached via [email protected], where XXX is the three letter code for that facility (ZBW is Boston, ZNY is New York, ZLA is Los Angeles, etc.). If you have any questions, feel free to give me a shout as well!

Again, welcome to VATUSA. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter which facility you choose to go to.

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146
Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor
[email protected]
- - - - - - - - - -
VATUSA ACE Team Member

Matthew Kosmoski

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:03 PM »
I think most ARTCCs have at least an instructor/mentor or two with unusual work schedules that could accommodate you.  For example, a couple of ours work third-shift, and as such, are available when the rest are at school and/or work.  As otherwise indicated, you could always reach out to each facility to determine which would work best with your specific requirements and interests.

Chris Field

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, definitely going to consider your advices...
Good to read that the time zone issue is not that much of an issue - well at least in those three facilities...