Most scenic US flights?

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Most scenic US flights?
« on: May 10, 2019, 06:39:38 AM »
ZSE's "Fly the Gorge" event a couple weeks ago got me thinking -- where are some other really scenic flights one can make in the US?  Obviously there's the Grand Canyon, the Manhattan skyline, the various resort airports around Colorado, the Florida Keys -- maybe around Mount Rainier, too -- what are some other "pretty" US flights you've done that you recommend?
Cheers,
-R.

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Most scenic US flights?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:07:25 AM »
ZSE's "Fly the Gorge" event a couple weeks ago got me thinking -- where are some other really scenic flights one can make in the US?  Obviously there's the Grand Canyon, the Manhattan skyline, the various resort airports around Colorado, the Florida Keys -- maybe around Mount Rainier, too -- what are some other "pretty" US flights you've done that you recommend?

Start in DLH and track up the north short of Lake Superior towards Grand Marais. It’s breathtaking, especially in the fall when the colors are starting to turn.

Otherwise the Grand Canyon is great, as is the arrival into SLC from the east over the Wasatch range. Obviously, Colorado ski country is very scenic flying as well (ASE, TEX, etc.)
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 11:43:27 AM »

Let's answer that question with a question: How daring do you want to be?  8) Here's why I ask.

When I fire up the sim, I get tired of waiting for the scenery to load for the first time before repositioning to where I want to be, so I've always picked some well off field where no-one is going to be, and for a while I chose somewhere weird like 48U (Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport - yes, it really is named that). One day, I typoed on that, and put in 85U, which took me to Soldier Bar, ID.

.. well... okay. But since I'm just there to get my routes made, that's okay.

Then I looked at the airport. It's one of a set of rare airports where the runway has a turn in it, is sloped like Lukla/Tenzing-Hillary or Courchevelle, and there's only one way in and one way out. Finally, it's slapped onto the side of the mountain, so if you miss it, you had better make that right turn out, otherwise you kiss the mountain.

My point here is that you could make a Salmon River run through the Rockies from there down to Boise, or east to Butte. But it's a very scenic run through the mountains there.

.. And it beats going to an intergalactic spaceport.  :o

BL.

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:10:19 PM »
Let's answer that question with a question: How daring do you want to be?
As daring as I can given the takeoff and landing performance limitations of a Beech Baron.

Thanks for the recommendations, Brad.  The Intergalactic Spaceport sounds interesting, as well!
Cheers,
-R.

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
Sedona (SEZ) is also quite fun and scenic.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Lance Williams

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:33:31 PM »

Probably my all time favorite: https://skyvector.com/api/loadplan?id=603267.fV022Cydf1PrtNduDWDJPWPDGqLrHusq&c=301&z=2&lat=41.27168&lon=-87.1105
Thank you,
Lance W.

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

Kyle Williamson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 08:01:52 AM »
I suggest Victoria. (CYYJ) It's stunning views have mountains alongside the ocean