FSX vs FS9

Michael Oberg

• Members
    • View Profile
FSX vs FS9
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »
I have sort of a strange question, I have been wondering what simulator to” go with” now that I am getting back involved with VATSIM. FSX is newer and the graphics are supposed to be better, however, the aircraft downloads that FS9 has, are quite a few (many of the airlines I like). FSX uses a lot of memory, were as FS9 I am able to max everything out in settings. Could some of you give me your opinion?? I do have both FS9 and FSX with the acceleration package.

I thank you in advance as when I pick FSX or FS9, I will be spending quite a bit of money on payware.

Michael Oberg

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
FSX vs FS9
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:52:59 AM »
If you're going for a clean restart then I would actually say neither. FS9 is starting to decompose in its grave and FSX is freshly buried.

Unfortunately for us, there are not many good options right now. X-Plane 10 is the most current public use simulator but it has its own problems and few developers have put an even fewer amount of product out there. P3D and P3D 2 are amazing engines, but are technically not for public use even though a loophole is getting massively exploited.

That being said, you are almost required to invest in an antiqued platform and FSX would be the one I choose. It was hard to walk away from FS9 myself, but today's entry level computers can handle FSX fairly well. The current crop of addons has reached and perhaps exceeded FS9 in terms of realism and quality, not to mention that most developers have abandoned the FS9 platform for future development. I'd say the old girl (FSX) has at least 5 years left in her.

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
FSX vs FS9
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »
A few things to consider are 1. how powerful is your computer and 2. do you plan to buy addon aircraft?

If you've got a powerful computer and you do want to buy the newest addon aircraft, go with FSX. About 98% of FSX addon aircraft are compatible with P3Dv2 either officially or unofficially, so if you wanted to go that direction eventually you could, also Dovetail Games purchased the entertainment licensing for FSX and will be releasing a version that has been "fixed and upgraded" like P3D next year, except there is no license argument. You'll more than likely be able to migrate your FSX addons over to the Dovetail build when it comes out (don't relay on my word, they may have their own vision for FS - their train simulator has a zillion DLC's).

If you don't plan to buy the latest and greatest addon aircraft or scenery and/or your computer is a bit dated, go with FS9 and you can take another look at P3D and Flight Simulator by Dovetail down the road.

Michael Oberg

• Members
    • View Profile
FSX vs FS9
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 03:19:11 PM »
Thank you Matthew and Ryan. I was going to go with FS9 as there are MANY more aircraft to download, however, I am putting money in this as well. USA Scenery, aircraft payware, active sky etc. so, once I choose, I need to stick with it. Ryan, you were talking about the possibility of the new flight simulator coming out, we will have to see what that entails. Right now, the only reason I am running FS9 is that they have the aircraft I want, such as "North Central Airlines Convair 580 and DC-9-31, were FSX does not. But I suppose I better go with FSX just for that reason of a new flight simulator coming out. I wish I could pay someone to do a North Central DC-9-31 or 51 package for FSX...lol In FS9 right now, every time I put a new aircraft in the folder, the next time I start Flight Sm I receive another error "Scenery.cfg error invalid remote scenery path in the scenery error 038 , 039 ,040" etc but it eventually will start up right. I appreciate your time guys and thanks again!!

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
FSX vs FS9
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
Quote from: Michael Oberg
Thank you Matthew and Ryan. I was going to go with FS9 as there are MANY more aircraft to download, however, I am putting money in this as well. USA Scenery, aircraft payware, active sky etc. so, once I choose, I need to stick with it. Ryan, you were talking about the possibility of the new flight simulator coming out, we will have to see what that entails. Right now, the only reason I am running FS9 is that they have the aircraft I want, such as "North Central Airlines Convair 580 and DC-9-31, were FSX does not. But I suppose I better go with FSX just for that reason of a new flight simulator coming out. I wish I could pay someone to do a North Central DC-9-31 or 51 package for FSX...lol In FS9 right now, every time I put a new aircraft in the folder, the next time I start Flight Sm I receive another error "Scenery.cfg error invalid remote scenery path in the scenery error 038 , 039 ,040" etc but it eventually will start up right. I appreciate your time guys and thanks again!!

No convair. But Cooksky nailed the DC9-30 and I have a North Central paint for it.

Michael Oberg

• Members
    • View Profile
FSX vs FS9
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 06:01:24 PM »
Matt, that is GREAT!! what must I do to get the repaint? (I am afraid to ask....lol)