trying to find a new ARTCC

David Gwynn

• Members
    • View Profile
trying to find a new ARTCC
« on: January 12, 2020, 10:27:59 AM »
hello i'm to join a new ARTCC. any suggestions would be helpful.

Fady Botros

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: trying to find a new ARTCC
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
Welcome to vatusa David! If you're looking for artccs, go on their individual websites and look around. That'll help see activity levels and how often training is done as well as the general feel of the artcc. In terms of the process once you take and pass the vatusa s1 exam you can request a transfer under my vatusa. Welcome to vatusa :)

-Fady
Fady Botros
ZMA Air Traffic Manager

David Gwynn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:56 AM »
Welcome to vatusa David! If you're looking for artccs, go on their individual websites and look around. That'll help see activity levels and how often training is done as well as the general feel of the artcc. In terms of the process once you take and pass the vatusa s1 exam you can request a transfer under my vatusa. Welcome to vatusa :)
i am a S1 already. but i'll look around and figure it out.
-Fady

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »
Every ARTCC also seems to have a different atmosphere to them. Their social culture and how seriously they take this hobby. It helps to list out what it is that you are looking for in an ARTCC and then maybe people can help guide you from there.

ZLC for example:

We try to get our procedures and training as close to real world as possible without you having to study for 40hrs a week.

Our social atmosphere is hit or miss... we sometimes have 6+ people in our discord talking about the newest video game, aircraft, CPU and sometimes we sit there and debate the finer points of point-out procedures.

Then other times, you can be the lone wolf controlling.

We go for quality rather than quantity.

There are many ARTCCs that share this same outlook and then there are others that hold the complete opposite atmosphere. Good luck on your find!
Best Regards,
Kyle Sanders

David Gwynn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
Every ARTCC also seems to have a different atmosphere to them. Their social culture and how seriously they take this hobby. It helps to list out what it is that you are looking for in an ARTCC and then maybe people can help guide you from there. i used to control at ZTL ARTCC on vatsim a year ago and now lately i'm trying to find one that is active and willing to help me get back in the groove of controlling.

ZLC for example:

We try to get our procedures and training as close to real world as possible without you having to study for 40hrs a week.

Our social atmosphere is hit or miss... we sometimes have 6+ people in our discord talking about the newest video game, aircraft, CPU and sometimes we sit there and debate the finer points of point-out procedures.

Then other times, you can be the lone wolf controlling.

We go for quality rather than quantity.

There are many ARTCCs that share this same outlook and then there are others that hold the complete opposite atmosphere. Good luck on your find!

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:36:41 PM »
Hi David -- when you reply, it's helpful to add your comments *outside* of the {quote} {/quote} tags, so it is easy to distinguish your responses from what the original poster said.
Cheers,
-R.

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
I would imagine the training staff at ZTL can still accommodate you, and its an extremely active facility.
VATUSA Deputy Director Emeritus
Former ZDC ATM, DATM, TA & WM
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 5

David Gwynn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:12:04 AM »
i could give ZTL another try.