FAA Digital ATIS Text

Justin Shannon

• Members
    • View Profile
FAA Digital ATIS Text
« on: January 12, 2020, 11:24:10 AM »
For those of you that are interested, I have created a website that pulls the digital ATIS text directly from the FAA SWIM data system.

http://datis.clowd.io/

There is also an API endpoint: http://datis.clowd.io/api/klax

And before anyone asks, no, I will not be integrating this back into vATIS.

Enjoy!
Controller (C3)
Los Angeles ARTCC
xPilot Developer
vATIS Developer

Joseph Kaiser

• ZTL Staff
    • View Profile
Re: FAA Digital ATIS Text
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 12:18:17 AM »
This is really awesome. Thanks!
ZTL Instructor

Szymon Puzdrowski

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • FlyBVA
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
Sweet, this will make a great addition to our IDS.
Thanks Justin!

Szymon Puzdrowski (π) - 1216832
Webmaster
[email protected]

Amin Abrahem

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 02:37:19 PM »
This is great, thanks!
Amin Abrahem

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 04:30:26 PM »
Thanks again for this, JS!

FWIW, I support the decision not to integrate it into vATIS, and I’d be cautious in rushing to duplicate the r/w ATIS to a fault for VATSIM use. We don’t need non-pertinent NOTAMs about cranes, construction equipment, laser strikes, etc. in the VATSIM ATIS unnecessarily. This is useful for reference to duplicate the framework for your own vATIS profiles, but I think it’s important to respect the barrier between simulation and reality.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:11 PM »

FWIW, I support the decision not to integrate it into vATIS, and I’d be cautious in rushing to duplicate the r/w ATIS to a fault for VATSIM use. We don’t need non-pertinent NOTAMs about cranes, construction equipment, laser strikes, etc. in the VATSIM ATIS unnecessarily. This is useful for reference to duplicate the framework for your own vATIS profiles, but I think it’s important to respect the barrier between simulation and reality.

But on the other hand, it would help (to a degree). For example, for those airports that have a particular set of noise abatement procedures, especially those with runway configuration changes, or density altitude or performance due to weather, having that info in the ATIS especially if an airport is unstaffed could add to the realism.

That said, having an ATIS running at an unstaffed airport is an issue in and of itself, but there you have it.

BL.

Justin Alderman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://zseartcc.org
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »

But on the other hand, it would help (to a degree). For example, for those airports that have a particular set of noise abatement procedures, especially those with runway configuration changes, or density altitude or performance due to weather, having that info in the ATIS especially if an airport is unstaffed could add to the realism.

That said, having an ATIS running at an unstaffed airport is an issue in and of itself, but there you have it.

BL.

Just like in real-world when airports close, have the ATIS become an AWOS with remarks. Be great to have AWOS at a lot of airports. Surprised that not even PilotEdge has done that yet. Be a nice thing for VATSIM to claim to have done first.
Justin A.
Seattle ARTCC (ZSE)

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 06:31:16 PM »

BL.

Just like in real-world when airports close, have the ATIS become an AWOS with remarks. Be great to have AWOS at a lot of airports. Surprised that not even PilotEdge has done that yet. Be a nice thing for VATSIM to claim to have done first.

Good point! Obviously, if we could change the remarks, I could definitely see the benefits of that as well as use on the network. For example, when KVGT closes, they have a running AWOS with the weather, then the remarks about when they close and open (obviously, not beneficial to us), additional weather available at the PRC FSS (again, not beneficial to us), CTAF, for clearances out of the field into Class B Airspace, contact LAS APP on 125.9 or 124.0 if on the ground.

If we could change the remarks to make it VATSIM specific, then we'd have a great AWOS function at every airport that has D-ATIS, which would alleviate the issue of the CTR controller only being able to publish ATIS info for one airport when running in a top-down setup.

BL.