Newbie here

Shawn Johnston

• Members
    • View Profile
Newbie here
« on: October 23, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
Hi there. I just joined Vatsim yesterday and went through the initial training stuff and took the Basic ATC Exam.

My question is, what now? Do I just choose a location that I feel I want to be a part of and select that? And then I will be contacted on how to set up and get started on training? I am based on the east coast, but honestly would prefer to be in a western location for myself in general. How do the locations handle the training?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am excited to get 'stuck-in' and learn. Thanks in advance.

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
Hello Shawn, and welcome to VATSIM and VATUSA. So the answer to your first question is , 'Yes'. You simply choose the facility you wish to join, You will receive an automated email explaining the next steps based on that facilities 'game plan'. It will typically include details of how to join their internal communications platform, be it TeamSpeak or Discord. and should have information of who your first contact point should be.
As for location, if you prefer the West coast facilities then go for it. One thing to keep in mind is time differences. If you live in the Eastern Time zone finding instructors who are available when you are may be a stretch. Then again, if your schedule allows you more late night time then it may work better for you. The key here is it needs to work for you. Timing, community of the facility, interest in the airspace, all of that. If your first selection turns out to not be what you expected then you have 30 days to request a change, but that's a one-time option.
I wish you all the best and hope you land in the spot that YOU will enjoy the most.
David Stone