FNO notam questions?

Reynolds Price

• Members
    • View Profile
FNO notam questions?
« on: February 21, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »
I just had a couple of questions on the latest VATUSA Notam.

I’m aware of the airspace over saturation’s  and think a change like that is not a bad idea...to an extent. The change I think is valid, and is needed for some ARTCCS.
ZNY, ZLA, ZDV all have either the AARD at a single airport to accommodate that high level of traffic, multiple airports to staff up and use to fly into, and/or the staff behind and controllers with the ability to handle that level of traffic (not saying there those that can’t. I’ve seen a lot of good controllers in my ~ 6 years.)

But what happens about “Live” events that have been notoriously one ARTCC events?

Hawaii or Anchorage (PCF now I think?) Hawaii is so far out there unless you’re leaving 4+ hours prior to the event or only flying inter-island/out of HCF airspace it’s not practical for multi ARTCC events. Alaska ain’t that much better. With it going bi-weekly yeah you’ll get open mic nights, but doesn’t guarantee staffing for those sectors. With FNOs it was guaranteed you’d have ATC in Hawaii (don’t think I’ve seen an FNO out of Alaska.)

I don’t want to fly 6 hours to just not talk to anyone. I can do that offline.

edit: Not intended to antagonize or frustrate anyone. I see both sides of the issue at hand. Controllers dont want to get over saturated and pilots dont like getting put in a hold. It can get a little frustrating for both sides. Just trying to get a better understanding of what all is happening with these changes. Further explanations to the NOTAMs would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:09:06 PM by Reynolds Price »
Lee Rey

Signatures confuse me.