Something for ZMA to think over

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: January 06, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »

... thanks to Mother Nature. Sector files and scenery updates will probably have to happen for you guys down there, thanks to the N. Pole veering more towards Russia, causing KTPA's runways to be renamed.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/jan/05/06...impacts-tampa-/

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]TAMPA - Scientists say the magnetic north pole is moving toward Russia and the fallout has reached -- of all places -- Tampa International Airport.

The airport has closed its primary runway until Jan. 13 to repaint the numeric designators at each end and change taxiway signage to account for the shift in location of the Earth's magnetic north pole.

The closure of the west parallel runway will result in more activity on the east parallel runway and more noise for residential areas of South Tampa.

The busiest runway will be re-designated 19R/1L on aviation charts. It's been 18R/36L, indicating its alignment along the 180-degree approach from the north and the 360-degree approach from the south.

Later this month, the airport's east parallel runway and the seldom used east-west runway will be closed to change signage to their new designations.

The Federal Aviation Administration required the runway designation change to account for what a National Geographic News report described as a gradual shift of the Earth's magnetic pole at nearly 40 miles a year toward Russia because of magnetic changes in the core of the planet.[/quote]

Just a heads up, because Momma Earth made it so.

BL.

Nicholas Cavacini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
Don't worry, we are way ahead of you here. We already have the NOTAM up for pilots.

Scott DeWoody

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
Quote from: Nicholas Cavacini
Don't worry, we are way ahead of you here. We already have the NOTAM up for pilots.

And the new "Fly Tampa - Tampa" scenery has the updates, along with navigraph airac cycles

Bob Carmona

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]TAMPA - Scientists say the magnetic north pole is moving toward Russia and the fallout has reached -- of all places -- Tampa International Airport.[/quote]

Santa decide to relocate?

Thanks Brad. I knew it was changing but not why.

Nicholas Cavacini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
[!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Scott DeWoody)--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE (Scott DeWoody)[/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]And the new "Fly Tampa - Tampa" scenery has the updates, along with navigraph airac cycles[/quote]

I guess I need Fly Tampa now then.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:22:27 PM by Nicholas Cavacini »

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 02:24:17 AM »
This has me thinking...

my guess is that for this runway change, the 18s/36s at TPA must have had a magnetic heading of 184/004, not to exceed 184.5/004.5. If so, and the magnetic variation from the N. pole caused it to roll over .5, then any airport near that threshold is going to have that same issue.. so at least in N. America, I'd except every airport with this situation to change runway designations. For example, KSAT and KRNO could change, since they are close to that threshold (KSAT has 12R/30L at 126.5/306.5 magnetic, while KRNO is at 184.3/344.3 magnetic).

Don't know for sure..

BL.

Kevin Cagle

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 10:21:06 PM »
Quote from: Brad Littlejohn
This has me thinking...

my guess is that for this runway change, the 18s/36s at TPA must have had a magnetic heading of 184/004, not to exceed 184.5/004.5. If so, and the magnetic variation from the N. pole caused it to roll over .5, then any airport near that threshold is going to have that same issue.. so at least in N. America, I'd except every airport with this situation to change runway designations. For example, KSAT and KRNO could change, since they are close to that threshold (KSAT has 12R/30L at 126.5/306.5 magnetic, while KRNO is at 184.3/344.3 magnetic).

Don't know for sure..

BL.

You are on the right track. In the mid 2000's the Rwy orientation was 185/005. It is estimated to  change by +.1 degree west per year since then. Right now the orientation is 006.5.