Which ARTCC should I join?

Fabian Mislik

• Members
    • View Profile
Which ARTCC should I join?
« on: December 19, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »
Hey, I'm a new ATC-to-be who just did his basic ATC/S1 exam and isn't sure what ARTCC to join? Do I need to visit all of their sites and check them out? Is there any way I can see if any of them would need more ATCs for the traffic they are getting?

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
Re: Which ARTCC should I join?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
Aloha Fabian,

Welcome to VATUSA!   The facility you join is your decision.  Many people will say, “join my ARTCC! It’s the best!” all day long, but in the end it’s all about what you want in your home Facility.  The people, airspace, and traffic levels are a few things to look at when choosing an ARTCC.

I’m based in Hawaii at Honolulu CF and I love it.  Check us out, but don’t feel pressured to join just because I said so  :)

Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Fabian Mislik

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:58:26 PM »
Hey Toby, thanks for your response.

The decision which region to join was pretty easy since VATUSA was the only one of my 3 choices that had a working website.

Yeah, those factors are what I was wanting to consider but I'm having a hard time being able to find that information.

Really I'm just looking to join somewhere where I'm hopefully needed ( e.g. understaffed for their traffic ) and hopefully a person being there who is willing to help me get up to speed and into action ASAP.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:27:54 PM »
Fabian, welcome to VATUSA!

Toby is right --- it really boils down to people, culture, if you have geographic or traffic level (high/medium/low) preferences.  Training staff availability is an issue at most facilities, but ability to receive training is important too.  Since you've mentioned interest in going where more folks are needed based on staffing levels, I can tell you who that is (I'll give you the top 5 needs based on staffing, with the "neediest" being at the top).  After that, you should check out their websites, try to get a glimpse into their cultures, feel free to email the staffs with your questions, etc.

OK, for the "neediest" facilities, with the top one being the lowest staffed.  These facilities are at critically low staffing levels.
Honolulu
Anchorage
Indianapolis
Kansas City
Minneapolis

The next six are in better shape, but still far below VATUSA's minimum staffing levels:
Miami
Memphis
Cleveland
Salt Lake City
Washington
Albuquerque

I hope this helps, and appreciate very much that you are interested in helping the division overall by looking for where the greatest staffing need is.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

William Anderson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
If you go onto the VATUSA website, click on Facilities there is a drop down where you get directed to each facilities website. I'd recommend looking through each and deciding on a facility from there.

*Now for the obilgatory advertising*

Even though the power was out at KATL yesterday(World's busiest airport) ZTL still has power and we're working fine :)

Update: Looks like Don beat me to it..
Will Anderson
Atlanta Center
Air Traffic Manager

web - http://atlantacenter.net
email [email protected]

Fabian Mislik

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 06:24:53 PM »
Thanks Don, that is some really good info. I think I would definitely prefer a high traffic area. You've already given me a lot of info, I hope it's not too much to ask if you could tell me, approximately, which of these facilities would be higher/lower traffic.

If the traffic level isn't low and they need help that desperately I would be happy to join Honolulu, if there is someone ready to train me there relatively soon.

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
If the traffic level isn't low and they need help that desperately I would be happy to join Honolulu, if there is someone ready to train me there relatively soon.

We need the help, for sure. HCF doesn’t get a ton of aircraft all at once like many other ARTCCs.  Remember, pilots have to fly several hours to get out to the islands. 

It’s a fun airspace for sure!  Lots of opportunity for growth.

I would be happy to meet with you to get you trained and certified should you transfer.  Just remember that all of our instructors are volunteers and have obligations outside of VATSIM.  We try to do the best we can!
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Fabian Mislik

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 10:22:19 PM »
Hmm, well I'll keep it in consideration, I hope I can get another answer from Don to help with my decision.

I'm just worried about being at an ARTCC with not that much activity and nothing to do, but since I have no experience yet I don't know how (un)realistic that concern is.

Joseph Jucha

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 01:28:25 AM »

The real answer, is plan on the area you WANT to control. It's nice to have a home field you want to work. Perhaps there is a staff member or two that has forgotten this is a nationwide effort and not just major metros.
 In any ARTCC you decide to join you will find others to help you along your way to the level you wish to learn. It's not overnight, it will take work.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 07:02:26 AM »
Fabian, the most important thing is the people and the culture.  But to answer your traffic question, there is an old saying that is very true -- if you staff it, they will come.  This is true when a facility is staffed regularly.  The two biggest draws to attracting pilots are regular staffing and events.  Pilots take notice when airports and airspace are staffed regularly.  Even moreso when events are hosted and advertised.  I'll give you an example:  Just last night, Seattle held an event called TRACON Tuesdays (https://forums.vatusa.net/index.php?topic=7568.0), featuring a number of smaller airports and airspaces, a good amount of training went on during a very, very busy event, and one student even got certified on position during the event.  All of our facilities are encouraged to host such training events -- they are good for the students, the facilities, and the pilots.  If any of the wonderful airports of the gorgeous islands are staffed regularly, and there are more and more events to promote the islands, you'll see more traffic. 

One thing to consider that makes VATSIM a little different from our real world counterparts is that staffing levels play a much larger part in where pilots fly on VATSIM in the real world.  In the real world, people fly where they need to fly for business, family, etc.  On VATSIM, people like to fly to the "big airports", but a much larger draw for most folks is where they can regularly/consistently find good staffing levels and service.

Now, think about that aligning with your training.  Even if the traffic levels in the islands right now are lower than some of the other booming major metropolitan areas, we have a simulator called "the Sweatbox" where targets are injected into the server for training purposes.  So when undergoing training with a mentor or instructor, you're likely to be in the simulator.  When you're working an airport/airspace solo to gain valuable solo experience, you'll have less online traffic to trip you up at first, yet it will build at a pace that you can safely and comfortably handle as you gain your experience and training, and as pilots see Hawaii lit up more often.  Toby mentioned the challenge regarding flights from the mainland, but interisland traffic is a great opportunity to build volume.  And hosting interisland training events to organically build more traffic within HCF is something that can bring more traffic more regularly.  Again, a win-win for you, for the facility, and for the pilots.

All that said, what really makes this as a hobby is the people and the culture.  They are the ones that care for you while you're learning, help bring you up to speed, crack jokes when you do something insanely funny and/or wrong, laugh also when you catch them doing something insanely funny and/or wrong, and laugh and commiserate when pilots make their gaffes, too.  It's really about community, and feeling like it's a second home.  Honolulu has just had a leadership change, and a strong, positive leader is currently in place, dedicated to doing everything he can to help grow his students and his facility.  Not saying every other facility isn't, but it ties in very nicely, as you were asking where you can help the most.  I have no doubt that if you join Honolulu today, you'll be received warmly, given gobs of attention, helped along the way, and will be successful.

Also, please know that as you grow in knowledge and certifications, you are also welcome to be a visiting controller at another facility.  Once learning to unique nature of their airspace, policies, letters of agreement, etc., you can add to your arsenal of traffic, and more importantly experiences, by controlling other places as well, while still staying grounded in your home facility.

And if it doesn't pan out for you for any reason, there are 22 facilities in the United States, each with their own group of people, culture, training regimen, traffic levels, etc., so there are plenty of opportunities to explore something different.

I lead a Division with 22 facilities, over 1,300 controllers and students, and over 20,000 members.  I'll never tell you which facility is best to join, because that's a decision only you can make, but I am happy to arm you with information and my perspectives and advice to help you make the best decision you can.  In my opinion, pick a facility, make friends, see if you fit in, put in the time and effort required to be successful (it's considerable -- this is a challenging yet very rewarding hobby), and rest easy knowing you have a Plan B if you need it.  And again, thank you for considering the needs of the Division -- looking for a facility that needs the help the most.

Hope this helps, best of luck, and best wishes for great holidays!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:13:23 AM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse

Fabian Mislik

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
Thank you Don for that great message and extra information and thoughts to consider. I definitely agree that those are very important, but since I couldn't know how the people will be etc. until I join I figured traffic and staff levels would be a good place to start.

I have gone ahead an joined HFC, I'm glad to know I'm joining somewhere my help would be needed and I really appreciated Toby coming here and responding to my questions.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »
Great to hear.  Best of luck and success!
Don Desfosse