Routes and new pilot

Uros Veselic

• Members
    • View Profile
Routes and new pilot
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:38:59 PM »
Hello,

I am a new pilot and I wonder, which charts do I have to have to fly IFR, from KLAX to KSFO, via route: ˝VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2˝
do I need all, ventura five, san marcus and big sur, charts...? and which-departure or arrival or approach...

thanks

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Routes and new pilot
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 01:21:20 PM »
Quote from: Uros Veselic
Hello,

I am a new pilot and I wonder, which charts do I have to have to fly IFR, from KLAX to KSFO, via route: ˝VTU5 RZS J501 BSR BSR2˝
do I need all, ventura five, san marcus and big sur, charts...? and which-departure or arrival or approach...

thanks

I would say yes. Because if you file that, and accept that as your clearance when it is given to you, ATC is goign to expect that not only do you have the charts and know what to do per what the chart says, but also to know how to fly that route.

So yes. What you will need is the VTU5 chart, and the BSR2 chart. Also, and I can't express this enough.. read the chart description! That is just as important (if not more) than the actual chart itself. That gives you the complete details on what you need to do. So definitely be sure to have them, read them, and understand them before you file the route.

BL.

Arthur Heiser

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://zabartcc.org/index.php/backend/profile/1052801
Routes and new pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Brad has it exactly right. Especially the part about reading EVERYTHING on the chart. Almost everytime there are two pages to the chart itself, the first page being the actual diagram of the route, and the next page being the route discription, which spells out for you, in words, how ATC will be expecting you to fly the route. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing pilots file a departure that clearly states that the pilot has responsibilities to take care of after departure, and they just fly runway heading off into no where. This is apparent if you fly out of PHX. Their departure procedures specifically ask the pilots to fly specific headings after departure, but 75% of the time, this is disreguarded, to the annoyance of the controller, obviously.

All in all, what I'm trying to say, is that you should read ALL the chart has to offer, not just the nice picture on the front
AJ Heiser
Senior Controller,
Los Angeles ARTCC
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas." ~ Davy Crockett , 1835