The Journey

Derek Vento

• Members
    • View Profile
The Journey
« on: September 27, 2016, 06:47:36 AM »
Training is solely the most difficult aspect toward obtaining certification in air traffic control. The concept of the simulation world is not only to have fun, but provide the most realistic avenue for pilots and controllers. I want to take a minute to explain the process of what training to become an air traffic controller truly is so you can develop your own baseline standard and expectations in your endeavor with VATUSA.

I started my internship in 2010 at Philadelphia Tower/TRACON. I was 16, and borrowed my grandmothers car, five days a week, for three straight months. In this time, I had the chance to meet phenomenal controllers with a skill set that I would hope to have one day. At the time I was full of emotion because I knew how fortunate I was to be in that position. I was a two year member of VATSIM at the time and knew a little bit about Philadelphia so it was pretty cool to see the real operation everyday. Runway changes, gusty wind conditions, traffic management, emergencies and abnormal procedures with adjacent airspace. Throughout my time, I spent most of it on flight data, running strips and monitoring in both the cab and radar. There were 25+ year guys talking to me about "compression" on the final. Gee, who would've thought five years later, I would be talking to my first airplane on frequency?!

I applied to the FAA in 2014 during their "off the street" hiring season. During the first few months of screening, I traveled to Philly Tower for my psych exam. I cannot begin to explain the feeling I got when I saw some of the same guys and gals four years earlier asking me if I was "that kid" that was here when I was a foot shorter. That in itself was the best experience of the journey. I got picked up on the OTS bid, and six months later I was in Oklahoma City. I was 1 of 18. We all had vast levels of experience. Myself, a fireman/EMT for four years with some virtual knowledge of ATC; others, a four year CTI degree, another had never flown or been to an airport, and the rest, worked in the field of aviation or had some sort of general work experience. There was an unspoken sense of competition. It was to see who knew the 7110.65 the best, who knew how to read an approach plate, who knew same runway separation and wake turbulence standards! It wasn't a competition to see who was better than someone else, it was a competition to see who had the pride, who had the love for the job! I say this because it translates to what you, myself and your fellow members/developmentals are doing. You're in a race to get to the top, but just know, it's not the fastest who gets there, it's the sharpest. Remember, the more time and effort you put into learning the position, learning the book and applying the practical application, you will notice a difference in your controlling and so will your peers. I also stress this to staff. Don't be complacent! Continue to be excited about teaching! Students look up to us and I wholeheartedly believe that their journey and attitude toward controlling can all be due to who they come in contact with. When you provide a solid foundation for students, not only do they appreciate your time but you gain their trust and instill confidence in them!

After three long months at the academy, I shipped off to Columbia, SC. It took me a total of 10 months to become a Certified Professional Controller. I remember going into work, nervous before a training session, but confident as well because I knew what needed to be done. Air traffic is dynamic and that's what makes it so fun; it is a constantly changing environment. You may see the same call signs everyday, but how they get from point A to B will always be different. There were days where my OJTI would quiz me, sound frustrated with me and even question me after answering with the correct answer because he wanted to make sure I was absolutely sure of myself. That is the environment you sometimes experience with us, and it's not to confuse you, it's to ensure that you are absolute proficient when you plug in online.

So ask yourself, what do I want to get out of my training? What can I learn today? How can I provide a better service? Take your training to heart because there are people who truly love this! Take pride in your training and the effort you put into it. As mentors and instructors, we devote our free time to you, so you can have the best possible experience on the network. Keep training and stay proficient.

DK

Brandon Barrett

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »
Hey you couldn't of said it any better Derek! I take my staff role pretty seriously and so should everyone else. I see VATSIM as more than just a hobby but a career builder as well. When I joined VATSIM I didn't know what I wanted to do in the future but the network has helped me figure out what aviation field I want to get into. There are student that I've trained before where after each session both myself and the student leaves more passionate about aviation more than ever and that is how it should be on the network. The students that show up almost everyday and show that they want to achieve their goals on here, show interest and show improvements even if it is small improvements is why I love teaching. Yes, training can feel tedious for many that have been doing this for a while but put yourself in the student's shoes especially the passionate ones. Training a student should not just be training the material and calling it a day but connecting with the student as well. You may know the 7110 from front to back but at the end of the day we're all here for one reason... aviation!

Derek Vento

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: The Journey
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »
Well said B! Hope the agency is treating you well!