Ground Control (View-Only) via iPad

Kurt Ernstsen

• Members
    • View Profile
Ground Control (View-Only) via iPad
« on: July 14, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
An idea popped into my head recently, and before I even attempt a proof of concept I wanted to reach out to controllers and pilots to see if there's 1) already something similar out there, and 2) if there's any interest.

Does anyone know of an iPad app that shows live vatsim ground traffic at a selected airport?  I'm thinking it could be used as a 2nd/3rd monitor when controlling, but could be used by pilots as well.  Initial idea involves selecting an airport, displaying the FAA airport diagram of that airport, and overlaying live vatsim ground traffic on it.  I know vatsim requires a signed NDA and the app to be free to access live (4-second intervals I believe) API data, but if I could get access to that the iPad app would display ground traffic in a similar manner as VRC and other controlling apps.

Anyway, just an initial idea for now.  Let me know your thoughts.

Kurt

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Re: Ground Control (View-Only) via iPad
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 07:15:19 PM »
If it would require you to make a separate connection to VATSIM in order to use it, it would be against the Code of Conduct to use it at the same time as your ATC or pilot client.
Cheers,
-R.

Kurt Ernstsen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2019, 09:58:59 PM »
If it would require you to make a separate connection to VATSIM in order to use it, it would be against the Code of Conduct to use it at the same time as your ATC or pilot client.

It would.  I wasn't aware of that rule.  Oh well, it was a fun idea while it lasted.  Thanks Robert.

Meg Bruck

• ZTL Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
You could use something like Duet and just display the ground radar on the iPad.
Meg Bruck
Event Coordinator
Virtual Atlanta ARTCC

Kurt Ernstsen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 11:41:33 AM »
That's awesome Meg, thank you.  I didn't even know Duet existed.  That works perfect with my iPad connected to PC.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »
You could use something like Duet and just display the ground radar on the iPad.

+1 on Duet... Awesome stuff.  The alternative that I use:
https://spacedesk.net

Really cool for pairing computers, tablets, phones, etc as additional displays.  Puts the spacedesk display in as a "native" windows display, so it can be configured as you would a wired-in one. Very helpful for this sort of thing.

And, while your post says "view-only", you could definitely use this to select or modify aircraft.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Kurt Ernstsen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
Cool, thanks for the suggestion Brin.  Duet is working perfect for me, but I might try Spadedesk just for the fun of it.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions, it's save me a ton of development time.   ;)