Vatsim Forums down?

Richard Gerrish

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:19:13 AM »
have been getting Database and code errors for the last few hours.  Anyone know whats going on?

Code: [Select]
Warning: require(./includes/acm/acm_file.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/forums/phpBB3/common.php on line 84

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required './includes/acm/acm_file.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in /home/forums/phpBB3/common.php on line 84

Norman Blackburn

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »
VP Webs is working on getting things back up and running following an issue with the SQL database.

Richard Jenkins

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://vatsim.net
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »
Quote from: Norman Blackburn
VP Webs is working on getting things back up and running following an issue with the SQL database.

USA-W2 is down. Probably going to need a new drive. This may take a few days.

Luke Kolin

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
Quote from: Richard Jenkins
USA-W2 is down. Probably going to need a new drive. This may take a few days.

Got backups? If you do I can get you a VM by dinnertime.

Cheers!

Luke

Richard Jenkins

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »
Quote from: Luke Kolin
Got backups? If you do I can get you a VM by dinnertime.

Cheers!

Luke

Yeah, we have backups. Trying to decide if we should fix this thing or just move. It's an old machine and Servpath isn't really interested in continuing to service the thing. They basically want us to move to a bigger machine with a much higher lease. Nine years with them and this may be the end. Might move the forums and a few other things on to a machine in Germany. Servers are cheap in Europe right now and very expensive in California at the moment.

The server in Canada may have to act as the FSD hub for the Pacific hop. Taking USA-W2 offline will cause the bandwidth on USA-E to go up; not sure how the owner will feel about that.

Will keep you in mind.

Colin Schoen

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »
Yeah, we have backups. Trying to decide if we should fix this thing or just move. It's an old machine and Servpath isn't really interested in continuing to service the thing. They basically want us to move to a bigger machine with a much higher lease. Nine years with them and this may be the end. Might move the forums and a few other things on to a machine in Germany. Servers are cheap in Europe right now and very expensive in California at the moment.

The server in Canada may have to act as the FSD hub for the Pacific hop. Taking USA-W2 offline will cause the bandwidth on USA-E to go up; not sure how the owner will feel about that.

Will keep you in mind.
Tough decision. Moving to the European server might be a smart move in the long run.

Luke Kolin

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:58:25 PM »
Servers are cheap in Europe right now and very expensive in California at the moment.

What do you consider "expensive"?

Cheers!

Luke

Richard Gerrish

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »
What do you consider "expensive"?

Cheers!

Luke

quick look around at some of the more know hosting solutions are showing dedicated server for around $100 to start with their basic options and features on up

Richard Jenkins

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 09:57:38 PM »
Quote from: Richard Gerrish
quick look around at some of the more know hosting solutions are showing dedicated server for around $100 to start with their basic options and features on up

The biggest difference is the hardware you get. This is a company we use in Germany - plus we get a 19% reduction for VAT.

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produktma...roduktmatrix-ex

Great machines and pretty low prices.

This is where USA-W2 is currently located. They have pretty much moved out of the personal server business.
http://www.gogrid.com/servepath/dedicated-...er-specials.php
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:01:45 PM by Richard Jenkins »

Luke Kolin

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:59:24 PM »
Great machines and pretty low prices.

Impressive - if I'm doing my math right, we're looking at around $65/month once I deduct 19% from 59 euros and apply the exchange rate. Am I missing anything?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]This is where USA-W2 is currently located. They have pretty much moved out of the personal server business.[/quote]

For their sake, I hope so. Those are pretty uncompetitive prices. FWIW 1&1 offers an i3 Xeon (2 cores + HT) plus 12GB of RAM for $99/month, if you need a US server. We've had them for six years and have been pretty satisfied.

Cheers!

Luke

Richard Jenkins

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 01:42:33 PM »
Impressive - if I'm doing my math right, we're looking at around $65/month once I deduct 19% from 59 euros and apply the exchange rate. Am I missing anything?

For their sake, I hope so. Those are pretty uncompetitive prices. FWIW 1&1 offers an i3 Xeon (2 cores + HT) plus 12GB of RAM for $99/month, if you need a US server. We've had them for six years and have been pretty satisfied.

Cheers!

Luke

Correct - The EX4s or EX5 would be about $63-$65 per month depending on the exchange rate. Depending on how you pay for it you may be hit with an exchange fee. We pay with Amex and pay 2%.

We may be moving - just got off the phone with gogrid about upgrading the machine. We currently pay $99 per month ( we have to pay 12 months up front to get that) and he just offered me a P4 with a 150% fee increase. Don't think that is going to work. The network guys would like to keep a server on the US west coast for the Pacific hub of our network. It may be a luxury we can no longer afford and the server in Vancouver may have to pick it up.

I'm looking at the company called PacificRack. Don't know anything about them.

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
I'm looking at the company called PacificRack. Don't know anything about them.

They have apparently merged with Quadranet, and Quadranet is very good, aside from traditionally being a bit on the pricey side.

Andrew Wolcott

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
Quote from: Bryan Wollenberg
They have apparently merged with Quadranet, and Quadranet is very good, aside from traditionally being a bit on the pricey side.

I own a server in Kansas... It has Windows Server 2003 running on it. Would that work for your purposes?

Richard Jenkins

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Wolcott
I own a server in Kansas... It has Windows Server 2003 running on it. Would that work for your purposes?

Thanks, Andrew.

We need Linux for this box.

Richard Gerrish

• Members
    • View Profile
Vatsim Forums down?
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
Thanks, Andrew.

We need Linux for this box.
good to know. have a couple contacts at switch out here I'll talk with them tonight and see what it would run me to throw a box out there again.