April Fools! VATSIM Update

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
April Fools! VATSIM Update
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:37:34 AM »
Team USA!

It's been a while since our last update, and so I wanted to fill you in on the latest updates coming from the last 2 BoG meetings.

Probably the most exciting development, and one that's linked to an issue even that has been discussed even more than voice unicom, is the continually deteriorating pilot quality on the network.  Well, after significant discussion, VATSIM is nearly ready to roll out an exciting new opportunity for our members.  Controllers, when faced with a pilot that is truly not cooperative or able to fly properly, and a Supervisor is not able to assist the pilot, will now have the ability to remove pilots from the network (temporarily, of course, for 15 minutes).  The .pilothelp command has completed beta testing and will be ready to launch effective May first (for which I'm sure a lot of controllers will be doing a May Day dance (flowers optional!).  The correct syntax of the command will be .pilothelp XXX123 Short description of the pilot deviation (where XXX123 is the pilot's callsign.  The affected pilots will then be disconnected from the network with a brief explanation that they have been disconnected, by whom (for increased controller accountability), the short text description of the violation, and a final statement encouraging the pilot to review the PRC and invest in pilot training through the PTD program.  It is important to note that, in order to prevent against abuses, every time the command is used, all pertinent details will be logged to the network, and an email will be sent to both the VATSIM Vice President of Pilot Training, the VATSIM Vice President of Conflict Resolution, and the VATSIM Office Of Pilot Services.  This is to both prevent against abuses as well as to get the pilots the training and services they need to be better trained and equipped to fly on the network in the future.

I know there are a lot of built-in protections here, and I caution you all very strongly now to use the command sparingly, perhaps very sparingly.  As I mentioned, emails get sent out to very high levels right away, your information is logged, and statistics will be tracked monthly looking for abuses.  And abusers, after one warning, will also be subject to disciplinary action, including suspension and permanent removal from VATSIM.  These protections were required (and smart, frankly) to guard against potential abuses of the system.

Many of you will be excited to know that the voice unicom proposal is indeed moving along nicely (though not fast enough for most peoples' desires, I'm sure!).  One of the features will be the addition of TWO frequencies -- Unicom on 122.8, and Multicom on 123.45 for pilot-to-pilot coordination and general chit-chat.  This was important, as one of the tougher pieces of discussion was regarding many pilots' penchants for carrying on irrelevant discussion on unicom.  As long as folks use the correct frequency, this should no longer be a concern.  Again, on the subject of checks and balances, one important check and balance is that each transmission will be recorded, time-stamped, and saved for 30 days in the event of a potential disciplinary investigation.  So pilots should not feel free to fly around dropping f-bombs on Unicom or on Multicom; this will all be recorded along with timestamp, GPS location, callsign, CID and a list of everyone in the Unicom/Multicom voice channel so witness statements can be collected.  Although, as you can tell, significant progress has been made, a formal implementation date is not yet available, as the recording systems have not yet completed beta testing.

I'm glad to be able to give a quick glimpse into these improvements.  This communication is certainly not meant to be an all-inclusive briefing on the new systems; those will be coming from VATSIM as the time gets closer.  I'm sure there will be a million questions.  Some I may be able to answer, many I may not.  For those folks that are already somewhat aware, hang tight, I'd like to answer all the initial questions in one coordinated reply response so we don't have a million threads coming out of this post.  I'm away for the weekend with my family, so I'll do my best to answer what I can later tonight, but we're seeing a Broadway show tonight and I'm honestly not sure what time I'll be able to respond, and if it's not today, it will be tomorrow.  In the meantime, sit back, relax, and prepare for these exciting and truly beneficial improvements!
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Re: VATSIM Update
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
Glad to see that the network is moving in the right direction! These seem like some big developments. I'm actually thinking that these new updates may incentivise more people to become controllers.

Thank you for your insight on this special day :D

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
It is about time these foolish pilots could be dealt with properly when a SUP is not online!
VATUSA Deputy Director Emeritus
Former ZDC ATM, DATM, TA & WM
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 5

Krikor Hajian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:38:16 PM »
This is the first I've heard of the Multicom idea! I can't wait!

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146
Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor
[email protected]
- - - - - - - - - -
VATUSA ACE Team Member

Brandon Barrett

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »
Woke up today and thought to myself... What is will Don cook up this year ;D
Brandon Barrett
Division Director
VATSIM Supervisor

Sergio Lopez

• Members
    • View Profile
    • vZMA ARTCC
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »
Don at it again.  ;D
Sergio Lopez
AIT at vZMA ARTCC
Follow us on Twitter!
The "Live" in Miami Live!

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »
RIP
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:29 AM »
I never target anyone... it's all in good fun. 

OK, it looks like most of you got it....  But a couple of you maybe didn't, and may still be actively believing that we're gonna be picking off pilots like snipers... and there may be a couple in the "undecided" camp,  so I'll let you all off the hook....

Happy April Fool's Day!!
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 08:53:48 PM »
I am dissapointed Don, normally you allow the message to sit and fester ruffling some feathers including mine on one occasion and then once you realize that everybody has reached their breaking point you let in on your April Fools Tradition.
Mark Hubbert
Division Director VATUSA Retired

Charles Messina

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:59:50 PM »
Those are some great ideas!

I'm a little worried about the .pilothelp command.  There is a huge potential for abuse and/or misuse (even unintentionally).
Perhaps it should be restricted to C1 or higher ratings?
I plan to make internal policy at ZOB that a controller must try a .wallop at least twice before going with a .pilothelp.
And even then, I'll caution against it unless absolutely necessary to prevent conflict.
I'll likely also require ZOB controllers to email me and our DATM with an official write-up any time the command is used.

Multicom is just a fantastic idea.  Can't wait to see how it works out!

CM

PS  Ya got me!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:10:10 PM by Charles Messina »
Charles Messina

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
Those are some great ideas!

I'm a little worried about the .pilothelp command.  There is a huge potential for abuse and/or misuse (even unintentionally).
Perhaps it should be restricted to C1 or higher ratings?
I plan to make internal policy at ZOB that a controller must try a .wallop at least twice before going with a .pilothelp.
And even then, I'll caution against it unless absolutely necessary to prevent conflict.
I'll likely also require ZOB controllers to email me and our DATM with an official write-up any time the command is used.

Multicom is just a fantastic idea.  Can't wait to see how it works out!

CM

Don't get too excited Charles.  What Don neglected to mention was that at the end of the 15 minutes the aircraft automatically pops back up on your scope in its original position back when the .pilothelp command was issued.  As I understand it, the thought process was that since the controller has the option to remove the aircraft in the first place, he now has 15 minutes to make a plan to handle the aircraft and help guide the pilot through it.

After all, we are here to create a learning environment.
Ira Robinson