Good Luck!

Steve Ogrodowski

• Members
    • View Profile
Good Luck!
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:24 AM »
I haven't been able to be involved with the VATSIM community over the past year or two (I was formerly quite an active member).  But I do generally keep up with the Forum talk and everything that goes on.  I noticed that the forums were closed out and got to thinking how odd that was.  I ventured to the VATUSA website just tonight and saw the message that David Klain sent out.  Everyone who visits this forum and knows who I am...well you know me, and I give y'all a shout out now.  Hope you all are doin good.

Anyways getting to my point.  It's really a despicable act that someone has engaged in attacking the network and causing all these problems.  VATSIM stands as a beacon in a very specialized field (of flight simulation).  At least you know one thing...your standards and way of doing things is enough to make someone quite upset and jealous.  Hopefully they don't move on to this server next (or any other private sub-VATSIM division/artcc website).

Good luck to everyone that is dealing with the crisis...like Bryan said in another post, I'm sure it will be resolved soon and hopefully the FBI will be able to track down the SOB that's so pissed off with us.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:24:55 AM by Steve Ogrodowski »

Steve Ogrodowski

• Members
    • View Profile
Good Luck!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:35:23 AM »
I just also want to note...in that this person is also attacking a site like LiveATC...he seems likely to be a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.  It's not necessarily some random hacker...it's likely someone involved with or formerly involved with VATSIM; that's the saddest part of the situation.

Gunnar Lindahl

• Members
    • View Profile
Good Luck!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
Quote from: Steve Ogrodowski
I just also want to note...in that this person is also attacking a site like LiveATC...he seems likely to be a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy.  It's not necessarily some random hacker...it's likely someone involved with or formerly involved with VATSIM; that's the saddest part of the situation.

Yes.
Gunnar Lindahl
VATSIM Supervisor

Brendan Samson

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.NewYorkFlyingClub.net
Good Luck!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:01:25 PM »
Quote from: Gunnar Lindahl
Yes.

50 bucks says this guy just got laid off from his job.

Matthew Kreilein

• Members
    • View Profile
Good Luck!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
If we find out who, I'll pay a personal visit if it's within a C172 flight from SCH in upstate NY.

I'll pick up the first 3 along the route of flight for free too.  
Matt Kreilein

Brendan Samson

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.NewYorkFlyingClub.net
Good Luck!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
Quote from: Matthew Kreilein
If we find out who, I'll pay a personal visit if it's within a C172 flight from SCH in upstate NY.

I'll pick up the first 3 along the route of flight for free too.  

Matt, I would be MORE THEN HAPPY to pay for the rental!!!

Andy McCall

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Good Luck!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:08:19 PM »
One thing that really pleased me throughout all this was that the CTP still went ahead with massive amounts of traffic.  Very well done to all involved.  I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to join in, as I couldn't log in with squawkbox due to the problems, but I'm not about to start stamping my feet and shouting it's not good enough - indeed the fact that enough servers were up and running and coped very very well with the amount of traffic goes to show that our tech guys are second to none - and it's all for free.

Well done guys, I'm sure I speak for all on Vatsim when I say a very big heartfelt thankyou for the huge amount of work and effort put in to keep the network running, and the work that is continuing behind the scenes - you're the best!
Cheers

Andy McCall
Essex RTS
Vatsim-UK

Zach Saxman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zfwartcc.com
Good Luck!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:52:01 PM »
I think that this situation is showing the true nature of VATSIM and its members. While there are things that can and should be done to prevent a future attack, it is really showing the quality of our non attacking members. I would like to think that this event is only bringing the core of members closer together in support of our hobby.

I would also like to say a public thank you to everyone that is combating this attack. Without your help CTP would not have happened and this network would not be around.

That being said, lets get out there and control/fly, its what we do and what we need to keep doing to show that our hobby is alive and cannot be phased.
Zach Saxman
ZFW ARTCC
zfwartcc.com