The new guy...

Josh Lardino

• Members
    • View Profile
The new guy...
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:38:59 AM »
Good morning, afternoon, and evening to VATUSA.

I have recently gotten a little more serious about my flight simming experience and what better way to take that seriously then to get into a place such as VATSIM itself?  Its invaluable in my opinion.  And being Free certainly helps out tremendously.

Now I fly RC Helis and planes as a hobby as well but it has been a goal of mine since I was a kid to learn how to fly a twin engine plane.  It is what I generally fly in FSX as well.

Anyway, I have signed up for the ATC position.  I took the test and failed it.  Though I didn't know it was open book.  I just look at it as seeing what I know and don't know.  So I've been reading up on the training material and patiently waiting for the next opportunity to take the test again.  Armed with a better knowledge of the test I think it should be no sweat.

Well I look forward to speaking with some of you in the near future and especially look forward to navigating everyone to a successful dea... landing!

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
The new guy...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
Welcome to VATSIM and VATUSA Josh! It's good that you weren't discouraged by your first test results. This is an amazing hobby, and a pretty faithful parallel to the real thing, especially for those who want to really learn ATC, whether for fun or for real. Find yourself a facility to join, retake your test when you can, and get on board! This is a very friendly community, and there is a ton of help available.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Josh Lardino

• Members
    • View Profile
The new guy...
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:53 PM »
Quote from: Tom Seeley
Welcome to VATSIM and VATUSA Josh! It's good that you weren't discouraged by your first test results. This is an amazing hobby, and a pretty faithful parallel to the real thing, especially for those who want to really learn ATC, whether for fun or for real. Find yourself a facility to join, retake your test when you can, and get on board! This is a very friendly community, and there is a ton of help available.

Failing tests has been the norm for me since I was in high school.  It 'always' took at least 2 or 3 tries until I would pass the test.  Same methodology would apply though, realize where I failed and improve on it.  The only tests that I have not failed believe it or not have dealt with my first responder and firefighter examinations.

I'm definitely interested in working as close to the realm of "real" as possible.  I've used the program ATC Simulator 2 before in the past and really enjoyed that but it just didn't exactly capture it all.  So I'm extremely eager to work from the ground up, literally.

I do have a question though, I have I believe four or five days remaining before I can take the test again.  Isn't this a bit extreme?  Shortly after taking the basic test I found the training material and read through it.  A couple of times now as a few days passed.  

I'm also looking forward to working with either the KIND or KORD divisions.  I live almost roughly 3 hours away from both airports.

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
The new guy...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:16:04 PM »
Take heart my friend ... the wait used to be worse. Use the time wisely, as you already have ... learn the material. Surprising how much sinks in the second or third time through it.  

I'm sure either ZAU or ZID will be happy to have you.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA