ATIS Question.

Matthew Montgomery

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
ATIS Question.
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
I was controlling recently, and when I was going to record my ATIS I saw that the winds were Variable 070-140 @ 8. Does this mean the winds are constantly changing or what, and what is the phraseology for this?

[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/matthew_montgomery/weird.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATIS Question.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:58:38 PM »
Quote from: Matthew Montgomery
I was controlling recently, and when I was going to record my ATIS I saw that the winds were Variable 070-140 @ 8. Does this mean the winds are constantly changing or what, and what is the phraseology for this?

[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh291/matthew_montgomery/weird.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]
Hey Matthew,

The phraseology is "Wind variable 070 to 140 at 8." You may also encounter a METAR that says the wind is VRB08, and then in the remarks section it may list the variability. The phraseology in both cases on the ATIS is the same.

When the wind is listed like that, it means the wind is changing a lot. The station determines the maximum and minimum degrees of wind direction over a given period of time, and reports the wind as such in the report.

Andrew Doubleday

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis ARTCC
ATIS Question.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
Just wanted to add that, although the VRC program defaults to include the phrase "winds", it should only be pronounced in the singular form as "wind" when stating it on frequency/cutting an ATIS.

Also, the phrase "sky conditions" should be omitted while cutting an ATIS (I notice a lot of people tend to include this when I listen in).

In the example METAR Matthew posted, it should be cut as follows on the ATIS: "Memphis International Airport information ECHO, two-two-five-four zulu, wind variable zero-seven-zero to one-four-zero at eight (knots is implied), visibility one-zero (omit statute miles as it's implied when discussing visibility distances), few clouds at four-thousand, ceiling two-five thousand broken... <continue on with recording>"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:49:45 PM by Andrew Doubleday »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATIS Question.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:15:55 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Doubleday
Just wanted to add that, although the VRC program defaults to include the phrase "winds", it should only be pronounced in the singular form as "wind" when stating it on frequency/cutting an ATIS.

Also, the phrase "sky conditions" should be omitted while cutting an ATIS (I notice a lot of people tend to include this when I listen in).

In the example METAR Matthew posted, it should be cut as follows on the ATIS: "Memphis International Airport information ECHO, two-two-five-four zulu, wind variable between 070-140 @ 8, visibility one-zero (omit statute miles as it's implied when discussing visibility distances), few clouds at four-thousand, ceiling two-five thousand broken... <continue on with recording>"
Totally agree. We actually have students download a new VRC.ini file that includes color profiles, a revised ATISMaker script, and a configured COMMS panel before we commence training.

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
ATIS Question.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »
[!--quoteo--][div class=\\\'quotetop\\\']QUOTE [/div][div class=\\\'quotemain\\\'][!--quotec--]... a revised ATISMaker script ...[/quote] ???
You vill kindly make zis available to der general population, yes?  

And thanks AJ for correcting the wind segment. There is only one wind at the surface. Just a bad habit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:10:00 PM by Tom Seeley »

Andrew Doubleday

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis ARTCC
ATIS Question.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
Made a slight adjustment to it today... typed out the wind section.

I wrote a fairly detailed article on cutting ATIS (although I don't believe I mentioned anything about this exact situation you may run across with wind) found on these boards here: http://forum.vatusa.net/index.php?showtopic=1683. It can be applied to any major airport really...

This is a guide from my training binder which can pretty much be used for anywhere in a very general form if you don't have the time or the patience to get very detailed with your ATIS cutting:

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16162462/CIMG2010.JPG\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:02:34 PM by Andrew Doubleday »

Andrew Doubleday

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis ARTCC
ATIS Question.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »
<disregard, accidental double post>
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:02:22 PM by Andrew Doubleday »

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
ATIS Question.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Doubleday

In the example METAR Matthew posted, it should be cut as follows on the ATIS: "Memphis International Airport information ECHO, two-two-five-four zulu, wind variable zero-seven-zero to one-four-zero at eight (knots is implied), visibility one-zero (omit statute miles as it's implied when discussing visibility distances), few clouds at four-thousand, ceiling two-five thousand broken... <continue on with recording>"

I don't even hear it that way.. I may hear a "wind zero-eight-zero at eight, wind variable between zero-seven-zero and one-four-zero, visibility one-zero..." so on and so forth.. But then again, that is mainly coming from Mr. Microsoft Bob Robot ATIS guy, so YMMV..

BL.

Andrew Doubleday

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis ARTCC
ATIS Question.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
Quote from: Brad Littlejohn
I don't even hear it that way.. I may hear a "wind zero-eight-zero at eight, wind variable between zero-seven-zero and one-four-zero, visibility one-zero..." so on and so forth.. But then again, that is mainly coming from Mr. Microsoft Bob Robot ATIS guy, so YMMV..

BL.

Now that I think of it BL, I think I've heard it that way on the D-ATIS before for a number of major fields as well...

I don't see an exact reference to this in the 7110 anywhere (under the ATIS section).