Basic ATC Exam Open Book Status

Ethan Meseke

• Members
    • View Profile
Basic ATC Exam Open Book Status
« on: July 29, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »
I've been going through the training materials getting ready for my Basic ATC exam and in some of my searches  I saw previous posts (several years old) stating that the VATUSA exams were open book. Since that info is old and I know changes have been made to the training procedures, can someone confirm whether or not I can still utilize the notes I've taken during the training? I received the exam email after it was assigned, but there's no information included there stating it is open book and I'd like to follow the rules.

I'm enjoying the learning, but right now I'm drinking from a firehose and without the notes I'm not sure how long it would take to retain enough info to pass the first exam. I'm hoping that once I can start training with someone, pieces that haven't connected yet will start falling into place.

Thanks for any guidance.

Aaron Schwartz

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Basic ATC Exam Open Book Status
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 01:06:04 AM »
Hi Ethan,

Welcome to VATUSA! Yes, the Basic ATC exam (all VATUSA exams, in fact) are open book. As you said, once you start training most things should start making more sense and remember the training staff at your ARTCC will help guide you, but do come prepared!
Aaron Schwartz
Former Seattle Air Traffic Manager

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 06:31:14 AM »
They most certainly are open book. I mean even if they were not, there is no way we could monitor it...................................... OR CAN WE?!
VATUSA Deputy Director Emeritus
Former ZDC ATM, DATM, TA & WM
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 5

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
...................................... OR CAN WE?!

Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Ethan Meseke

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 08:29:58 AM »
Well...time to make sure all the monitor cameras are covered.

But thanks for the quick responses, just wanted to make sure I'm doing things the right way. Looking forward to joining the community.

Gia Pham

• ZDC Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 12:00:15 AM »
They most certainly are open book. I mean even if they were not, there is no way we could monitor it...................................... OR CAN WE?!

We can try Respondus lockdown browser.
Gia Pham
vZDC Events Coordinator (EC)
[email protected]