Training Times

Bob Zolto

• Members
    • View Profile
Training Times
« on: April 29, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
I took and passed the basic exam about a year ago and joined the DenverARTCC.  I had a hard time scheduling further training because the instructors preferred evening sessions and I really preferred sessions earlier in the day. (I am in the same time zone as Denver).  Would it make more sense to transfer I'm in the Academy) to an facility on the east coast so that the training session timing might be easier? 

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Training Times
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:30:07 PM »
Hello Bob.  Your question is going to receive different replies, many of which will make perfect sense and some that may not.  For example, I might suggest that joining an east coast ARTCC doesn't address your time zone problem so much as it puts you another three hours behind the eight ball. For each training session you wish to have in the morning, someone needs to be available during the day, not in school, not at work. 

Granted, that is an over-simplified answer.  But by posting this you have essentially put up a job application which, I hope, will receive a response from someone saying, 'join us here at ..." because we can help you.  Until then, I suggest you visit some of the web sites of the various ARTCC's that you think will interest you, look through them, maybe send an email to the Training Administrator and then select an ARTCC that you feel fits your personality; someplace where you think you can be comfortable.

And I wouldn't rule out going back to Denver.  Schedules change.  You never know.  Anyway, good luck!
Ira Robinson

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »
Bob,
I would suggest sending emails to the Training Administrators of ARTCC's that you might be interested in and see if they feel that their available times might match yours. 
Mark Hubbert
Division Director VATUSA Retired

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 08:44:22 PM »
Good advice you've received.  And I was wondering what you meant by "earlier in the day"....  Did you mean late afternoon, early afternoon, morning?  That makes a big difference, as you will find precious few facilities that have daytime training availability, mainly due to folks' job/school obligations.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Bob Zolto

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »
What I am looking for is. say, late afternoon for me in the Mountain Zone, winch would be early evening in the East.  When I was trying to find a convenient time for the instructor and me in Denver, there was no response when I tried to schedule a non-evening time.  I realize there are work/school issues involved, but I feel it might be easier to find someone in an earlier time zone.  I'm familiar with the Boston/New York areas from RL flying there before I retired to NM. 

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 06:31:24 AM »
That's probably a much easier problem to solve; I agree with the advice to browse the ARTCCs' websites and contact the TAs of the ARTCCs you might be interested in to gauge instructional availability/capacity.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Bob Zolto

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
Thanks.  I'll check around.  When I find a suitable ARTCC, I presume I would then ask for a transfer from the Academy?

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 06:36:21 PM »
Thanks.  I'll check around.  When I find a suitable ARTCC, I presume I would then ask for a transfer from the Academy?

At that point, it would be prudent to request assignment to an ARTCC.  Best of luck in your pursuits.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Bob Zolto

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »
I applied yesterday for a transfer from the Academy to ZDV.  My profile then said the transfer was pending, or words to that effect.  Today it says noting like that.  How long should a transfer take?  And why did the note about the transfer pending go away?

Bob Zolto

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
Never mind.  The transfer went through.

Chase Morgan

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Salt Lake City ARTCC
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:54:54 AM »
Never mind.  The transfer went through.

Welcome to ZDV Bob. Upon your transfer being approved, you were sent an email with information about your membership, our forums, and getting on Teamspeak. As previously noted, to schedule training, please email Chris, or hop on Teamspeak; someone is always on during the morning and throughout the rest of the day.
Chase Morgan
Salt Lake City ARTCC | Webmaster
- - - - - - - - - -
[email protected]