VRC hates Hardware Acceleration

Wesley Chow

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« on: August 19, 2009, 06:45:08 PM »
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone could help me with this. On VRC, the last line on the radio history gets cut off. I checked VRC's site and a frequent occasion that causes this is hardware acceleration. In order to have the last line show up, acceleration needs to be turned down. Well I'm runnin Windows 7 RC Version 7100. Trying to get to the hardware acceleration settings, but the troubleshoot button is grayed out. I have a Intel 965 Chipset Graphics Accelerator. Anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 01:10:23 AM »
Wesley, this has been covered in some reasonable extent over on the ZLA forums, in a few different threads.  I have the exact same problem, and have yet to get everything completely fixed.  I am running Vista, however, with the 965 chipset.  

To get things working reasonably well (and I say reasonable in that's it's basically functional) is to disable the display drivers in the Device Manager.  This of course wreaks havoc on computer performance, but VRC generally works.  Of note on mine, half the sector file (west of LAX) displays letters instead of numbers for the MVA's.  It's annoying, but who needs MVA's anyway right?  Mountains?  Bah!    

But it will make VRC functional, allow you to see everything you should be able to see, etc.  I haven't used Windows 7 yet, so I'm not sure if the above applies, but it definitely works in Vista.  There are some other fixes listed on the ZLA forum (that did not work on mine) that may be of help to you.  Of course, when you're finished using VRC, you need to re-enable the driver, or reboot the machine.

Good luck man, if you find any other fixes out there, I'd love to know!

Wesley Chow

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
Thanks Bryan. Will try this out!

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
Unless it's completely the fault of the chipset (it could just be Vista), Windows 7 is reportedly going to be able to run everything that XP could through "XP Mode," which you can activate for certain windows on the desktop.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/08/19/microso...pros/index.html
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:12:20 PM by Harold Rutila »

Colin Zhang

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:58:51 AM »
Well XP Mode in Windows 7 is actually just running a virtual machine on your computer. You must download and install it like any other software such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels for Mac. If you're fine with that then go ahead, it's actually a great solution if convenient in your case. However, some may not wish to run a VM on their computers due to performance, space, etc. issues on their particular systems. Also, there are some specific requirements such as having 2GB system RAM and, something of note, a CPU that supports chip-level virtualization.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 05:02:17 AM by Colin Zhang »

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
These instructions will allow VRC to work on vista with any Intel Card

Windows Vista With Intel Chipset/Hardware ONLY, Feel Free to try it with ATI/Nvidia. but i am not responsible

1.Click Start. In Search Box type in Device Manager

2. Once it opens, expand the display adapters tab, you should see the chipset/graphic driver or whatever that is currently installed.

3. Right click your chipset/graphic driver and click Disable. go through any messages and whatever and just continue.

4. once done you may notice that your screen resolution has dropped but dont worry. we'll put it back just as it was.

5. Open up VRC and ensure that everything is ready and set to go, (you may connect etc. but for this i wont.)

6. Once opened and checked, go back to the device manager and re-enable your chipset/graphic driver, your screen resolution should now be back as normal. (if not just go ahead to the settings and set it as normal)

7.Connect to VATSIM, Close the device manager and Be Happy that now VRC Can work on Vista with an intel chipset/graphic driver.

8. Remember you must do this every time you want to open/re-open VRC. (you may wish to disable your chipset/graphic driver permantly but i dont know what problems could arise, if you do disable it permantly you will not need to go through these steps again)

this will be posted on VRC Forums and thanks to everyone for their support

if any admins/mods wish to they may rename this topic/post and sticky it. it could help people who have not yet looked at the VRC forums

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »
There has been a member confirm that the procedure above does in fact solve the problem. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

Thomas King

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 11:54:14 AM »
Quote from: Alex Bailey
There has been a member confirm that the procedure above does in fact solve the problem. Thought it would be worth mentioning.

yeah it works for me. The picture is fuzzy, obviously. but it is a small price to pay.