How do I listen to ATC as an observer?

Odin Morris

• ZID Staff
    • View Profile
How do I listen to ATC as an observer?
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:58 PM »
I can't seem to figure out how to listen to other ATC's as an observer. Is there a certain frequency that I need? Can someone tell me how. My ARTCC is Indianapolis.
Odin Morris
Deputy Air Traffic Manager
vZID - Indianapolis ARTCC

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Re: How do I listen to ATC as an observer?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:18 PM »
Odin, you first want to open up your Controllers List and find someone online. Once you see someone you want to monitor, you'll want to send a command to get their ATIS.
Code: [Select]
.atis OAK_CTRThen you'll receive a message that looks something like this:
Voice URL: voice.radarcontact.me/OAK_CTR
(other stuff that isn't important)
You're going to want to take note of two things: the voice server (voice.radarcontact.me) and the voice channel (OAK_CTR).
Next you'll want to open your Comms Panel and fill out the following information in a new cell:
Position Name: (anything you want)
Frequency: (the frequency they are using)
Vox Server: voice.radarcontact.me
Vox Channel: OAK_CTR
Then click "Save Changes."
To start listening to the frequency, click "RX" and "HDST" next to the entry you just created and you should hear whoever you want to listen to.

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
I can't seem to figure out how to listen to other ATC's as an observer. Is there a certain frequency that I need? Can someone tell me how. My ARTCC is Indianapolis.

Odin,

As Josh so nicely said, you can just make an entry to your VRC Communications Panel like you would for anything else.  In terms of setting up, and learning VRC, I recommend you speak to a mentor or instructor at your facility.
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager

Cole Connelly

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
To start listening to the frequency, click "RX" and "HDST" next to the entry you just created and you should hear whoever you want to listen to.

Ditto Josh's explanation. If you still cannot hear the frequency ensure that UDP Port 3290 is forwarded through your router for VRC.
Cole Connelly
Controller - C1

Brin Brody

• VATUSA Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »

Ditto Josh's explanation. If you still cannot hear the frequency ensure that UDP Port 3290 is forwarded through your router for VRC.

Should be automatic, was for me. :)
Brin Brody | VATUSA8
Training Services Manager