Why flying your airplane well is the most important part of a successful FNO

Shane VanHoven

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Flew the BOS FNO on Fri night. What an experience and how everyone worked together to get into KBOS. However,

While being vectored to ROBUC, in heavy storms, the ZIBO MOD B737 lost airspeed and lost control. I got my finger on the PAUSE button and had to disconnect...

Better lucknext time...
Tom

And this is why most pilots on VATSIM need to be better about taking reroutes around storms. The number of people I have outright refuse deviations or reroutes around the wx and then complain about turbulence blows my mind.

Isn't this the same night where the real facilities completely shut off the ROBUC flow cause of weather? Good thing brains are used IRL  ::)
Shane VanHoven
Minneapolis ARTCC
Private pilot, Instrument, ASEL
FAA Air Traffic Control, ORD ATCT

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
Flew the BOS FNO on Fri night. What an experience and how everyone worked together to get into KBOS. However,

While being vectored to ROBUC, in heavy storms, the ZIBO MOD B737 lost airspeed and lost control. I got my finger on the PAUSE button and had to disconnect...

Better lucknext time...
Tom

And this is why most pilots on VATSIM need to be better about taking reroutes around storms. The number of people I have outright refuse deviations or reroutes around the wx and then complain about turbulence blows my mind.

Isn't this the same night where the real facilities completely shut off the ROBUC flow cause of weather? Good thing brains are used IRL  ::)

Yep. R/w ZBW really got into the spirit of “FNO: The ROBUC STOPS HERE”. Literally.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Jeremy Peterson

• Members
    • View Profile
If you can get through the weather, it’s considered open. The constraint during that event was moreso the airport landing one runway which had a much greater impact than closing the MERIT/JFK transitions on the ROBUC. PCT traffic was routed onto JFUND2 so it was really only a PHL/N90 issue.
Jeremy Peterson (HP)

Lance Williams

• Members
    • View Profile
I fly so sporadically now so this observation may be irrelevant, however I feel there is such a lack of "regular" atc online lately that any event draws 80% of the daily traffic. Yes, that's a made up stat just like most, however it just seems ATC along with Pilots have no idea how to handel their respective "equipment..." ATC should be issuing vectors and speed restrictions to avoid the inevitable final approach load described above. Pilots should use VATSPY or whatever map client to help ATC out the same way.

I find it a bit comical that ATC is here complaining about pilots ability to fly (I get it, 60% of the pilots on VATSIM probably would be better off trying to put a round block into a square hole, but...) when most of the issues I experience, again in limited time recently, are inept controllers.

It is what it is though. You can't have a free network of both pilots and ATC without these issues...
Thank you,
Lance W.

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
I fly so sporadically now so this observation may be irrelevant, however I feel there is such a lack of "regular" atc online lately that any event draws 80% of the daily traffic. Yes, that's a made up stat just like most, however it just seems ATC along with Pilots have no idea how to handel their respective "equipment..." ATC should be issuing vectors and speed restrictions to avoid the inevitable final approach load described above. Pilots should use VATSPY or whatever map client to help ATC out the same way.

I find it a bit comical that ATC is here complaining about pilots ability to fly (I get it, 60% of the pilots on VATSIM probably would be better off trying to put a round block into a square hole, but...) when most of the issues I experience, again in limited time recently, are inept controllers.

It is what it is though. You can't have a free network of both pilots and ATC without these issues...

You’re not wrong. I’ve lamented on more than one occasion that controllers don’t just staff up anymore for the sake of being online. It almost takes an event to draw people out of the woodwork to provide ATC. Maybe I’m just being nostalgic, but you used to see a lot more ATC coverage on random weeknights, and the traffic was certainly there.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Jonathan Peck

• Members
    • View Profile

You’re not wrong. I’ve lamented on more than one occasion that controllers don’t just staff up anymore for the sake of being online. It almost takes an event to draw people out of the woodwork to provide ATC. Maybe I’m just being nostalgic, but you used to see a lot more ATC coverage on random weeknights, and the traffic was certainly there.

Perhaps when the new voice codec is launched, traffic levels and ATC coverage will improve.