ARTCC Selection

Ed Sammarco

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Selection
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Just passed the initial ARTCC test and now need to select an ARTCC for training.  Anyone have any suggestions as to selecting an ARTCC?  Should I assume a Chicago, DFW or NY would have more activity?  Appreciate any "logical" rationale...other than you work there

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
ARTCC Selection
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »
Hi Ed,

Any one of the ARTCCs in the division would be a great location to enjoy the controller-side of our hobby...and remember, it's NOT just about the level of traffic. I recommend you talk to the members of several ARTCCs to get a feel for the "atmosphere" before making a selection.
Gary Millsaps - VATUSA1
"Mr. Charles Darwin had the balls to ask... yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah." R.E.M.

Bruce Clingan

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.classbravosa.com
ARTCC Selection
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
Quote from: Gary Millsaps
Hi Ed,

Any one of the ARTCCs in the division would be a great location to enjoy the controller-side of our hobby...and remember, it's NOT just about the level of traffic. I recommend you talk to the members of several ARTCCs to get a feel for the "atmosphere" before making a selection.

Gary is right there is a lot more than just traffic volume.  Chances are that if you go to one of the really busy ARTCCs it will take a substantial more time to get trained and up and running, and the level of traffic you see on a daily basis may not be even that much more.

Finding a place to me is about the atmosphere, and friendship.  There are times that my friends I've met on the network are some of the first people I talk to when I just want a chance to vent, or an opinion about an important decision and to me that is worth much more than traffic volume.
Bruce W. Clingan
vZID Air Traffic Manager

"Facts are stubborn things." Ronald Reagan

Brendan Lynch

• Members
    • View Profile
ARTCC Selection
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 05:00:38 PM »
I just went with the one I live in.  If you are on a border like me, ZTL and ZDC, I went with ZTL because my home airport is CLT, and to control there means ZTL.

SIMAF87
s1LT Brendan "Lightning" Lynch
SIMAF87
ACC 1FW 94FS