Question: Missed Approach Procedure

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
Question: Missed Approach Procedure
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
It's been a long, long time since I did my instrument training (we're talking decades here) although I have thousands of RW hours, I have a question.

I was looking at the John Wayne (KSNA) ILS RWY 20R approach, and noticed that the procedure for the missed approach sends you to a fix with no further instructions, or a hold. That left me wondering

• What a pilot is expected to do once reaching that fix, and
  • What does the controller expect the pilot to do reaching the fix.
There is an "alternate missed approach fix" ... the SLI VOR, with a published hold, but as far as I know, authorization to fly an approach includes authorization to conduct the missed approach, but not to leave the missed approach fix and continue to an alternate missed approach fix. FAR/AIM says this is for use when the specified missed approach fix is unavailable, implemented by NOTAM or ATC.

I'm accustomed to seeing a fix with a hold, so I'd like to know what the correct procedure(s) here is/are.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Michael Mund-Hoym

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Missed Approach Procedure
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:45:25 AM »
The missed approach fix (MINOE) when flying the missed approach procedure as published becomes your clearance limit, unless you have received a further IFR clearance by ATC prior to reaching the missed approach fix. I would expect the pilot to react in accordance with the AIM 4-4-3 e. 3. which states the following:

e. Holding Instructions
3. If no holding pattern is charted and holding instructions have not been issued, the pilot should ask ATC for holding instructions prior to reaching the fix. This procedure will eliminate the possibility of an aircraft entering a holding pattern other than that desired by ATC. If unable to obtain holding instructions prior to reaching the fix (due to frequency congestion, stuck microphone, etc.), hold in a standard pattern on the course on which you approached the fix and request further clearance as soon as possible. In this event, the altitude/flight level of the aircraft at the clearance limit will be protected so that separation will be provided as required.

Great question, Tom! :)

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »
Good answer, thank you.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Mustafa Ahmedani

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »
Don't know whether you're talking real life or not, and they probably do this in real life too, we're taught over at ZLA not to give published missed approaches. At least on VATSIM ZLA, we're told that those are backups in case you can't really think of anything else, or you simply forget the DVA...

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
Don't know whether you're talking real life or not, and they probably do this in real life too, we're taught over at ZLA not to give published missed approaches. At least on VATSIM ZLA, we're told that those are backups in case you can't really think of anything else, or you simply forget the DVA...

I don't know about real SNA.. but rw up in AK we issue instructions unless the pilot requests specifically to do the published missed.