Leadership Opportunity

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Leadership Opportunity
« on: November 03, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
Team,

On February 3, 2013, I was entrusted to lead the VATUSA Division. We’ve come a long way, aligning behind and improving in each of the elements of my initial vision of culture, improved training, retention, growth, presence and balance, yet still have plenty of room for continued growth and improvement in each.

February 3, 2018 will mark my five-year anniversary in the Division Director role. Based primarily on my real-world obligations, particularly work and family commitments, that continue to grow and force me to prioritize, yet also taking into account my desire not to let the Division stagnate and give the Division and its members an opportunity to enjoy new, fresher blood, I have decided to provide a three-month notice of my intent to retire from the Division Director role upon completing my fifth year as Director of one of the best, strongest, most vibrant and fun Divisions in VATSIM.

The good news is that our bench is strong; I feel that there is significant leadership at the Division HQ as well as throughout the Division that can move around and up in order to ensure a healthy transition. I have served significantly longer than any other VATUSA Division Director, which has been excellent in terms of consistency of vision, strategy, leadership and execution, but it also introduces the peril of stagnation and the risk that our rapid-growth and improvement focus and results plateau. It also prevents those with excellent leadership potential from learning to lead at the Division level, and learning to become a truly excellent leader of an organization that currently numbers over 20,000 members.

My hope, by providing the notice that I have, is that a selection and transition plan can be accomplished in an orderly and healthy manner. Nic Felini, VATNA Director, has expressed his appreciation for the ability to have plenty of time to conduct a proper search and transition for a role of such importance to the VATSIM network.

I want to thank you for your faith, trust, loyalty, hard work and support over these last several years. Together, we have created a lot of the magic that I often talk about – let’s keep it going and growing!

Best,

Don

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Leadership Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »
I know that all of the posts that follow this one will include all of the platitudes deserving of the situation, so I leave that to everyone else.  Instead, I will simply say"thank you".  Somehow that doesn't sound near enough, yet I know that it is.

Good luck Boss.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:52:29 AM by Ira Robinson »
Ira Robinson

Nicholas Watkins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
5 Years is no small commitment, so to echo Ira, Thank You Don.  Wish you all the best and, naturally, Blue Skies my friend.

Clifton Whitten

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Boston Virtual ARTCC
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »
Little early for April Fool's Day aren't we?
Clif Whitten
Air Traffic Manager
[email protected]
- - - - - - - - - -
Boston Virtual ARTCC
Immersive, realistic, and professional air traffic control.
www.bvartcc.com

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
Besides the phenomenal people that I have had the privilege to work with and serve, the April Fools Day posts might just be what I miss the most!  :)
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Manuel Manigault

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
I hope this does not mean that you are retiring from the network but just from the position.  I have enjoyed working with you!  Whoever is selected will have enormous shoes to fill.
Mani Manigault
Vice President, Americas Region
VATSIM

Camden Bruno

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:37:31 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJFGpdo4JBQ

I echo everyone's thoughts from above. Thank you for your dedication to the network over these many years, and whoever is on-deck has some massive clown shoes to fill.

Of course, this doesn't mean you're allowed to become a stranger.

Krikor Hajian

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 11:48:20 AM »
Don,

Thank you so much for your dedication and work over the past five years for VATUSA. As a leader, mentor and friend you’ve had an enormous impact on myself and countless other members of the division. Of course, I look forward to continuing to work with you locally, and seeing you at Boston Tea Party and wherever else our paths are fortunate to cross!

Krikor Hajian (HI) - 1283146
Deputy Air Traffic Manager | Instructor
[email protected]
- - - - - - - - - -
VATUSA ACE Team Member

Graham Curnew

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
Don,

While it has been short, it has been great. Thank you for all your hard work.

Graham
Graham Curnew
VATCAN - Communications & Events Director
[email protected]

Mark Hubbert

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »
Don,
Wishing you all the best "Boss".  An honor to have served under your leadership and guidance.
Mark Hubbert
Division Director VATUSA Retired

Alexandra Robison

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »
Don-

Thank you for everything you have done for VATUSA. We would not be where we are today without your dedication.
Alexandra Robison
VATUSA Technical Manager (VATUSA12)
VATSIM Senior Developer
I still love ZAB though <3

Charles Messina

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
There's something to be said for going out while you're at the top of your game.  It's classy.  Enjoy your retirement, Don!
Charles Messina

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
Don,

What can I possibly say?  "Thanks for your time and commitment to the Division?"  Too little.  "You were the best division director and I absolutely loved being a part of your team all these years-- seeing your vision for USA take shape and convert to action?"  Too much.  I dunno man.  I guess at this point all I can say is it's been a pleasure, and your leadership and horrible sense of humor will be sorely missed!  Haha.

Seriously though, thanks for everything!  Enjoy retirement!  We've got big shoes to fill.
Wes Miles
Division General Manager
VATUSA

Toby Rice

• Members
    • View Profile
    • ZJX ARTCC
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 11:07:39 PM »
Don, you're the man.  Hope you know it  8)  Thanks for all your hard work and dedication.  You'll be hard to replace!

Ditto to everything that everyone else above just said.
Toby Rice
Jacksonville ARTCC
ACE Team | Former HCF ATM | Former ATC Instructor

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
Don,

Many thanks for your tireless efforts in leading the Division these many years. I wish you the best in all you do and hope you will maintain a presence as often as possible.
David Stone