VRC files to EUROSCOPE

Chris Pierce

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC files to EUROSCOPE
« on: September 04, 2012, 11:05:18 PM »
Well, I am new to controlling as and S1 for Indianapolis, but I need some extra help. VRC has been giving me some odd errors like 'the memory could not be written' so I'm forced to use Euroscope. Everything is fine about it except that I'm almost stuck at Indianapolis because they seem to be one of the three artccs that have Euroscope files.

I'Ve been doing research lately on how to convert VRC files to work in Euroscope. The only problem is that half the times I don't understand what to change. I created my own way that is sort of along the lines of what the people are trying to say, but they say something about editting the geos, and I have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. What I do is just simply load the sct2 file into Euroscope, and then I change the POF file from xxx.pof to xxx.ese. It seems to be working fine. But before I actually start controlling like that, I wanna make sure that I'm not doing anything stupid before I go online on VATSIM.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Chris Pierce
vZID S1 Minor

Kevin Copeland

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC files to EUROSCOPE
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »
I have a feeling "the memory could not be written" error you are getting is coming from Windows as opposed to VRC and is attributed to the Data Execution Prevention or an incomplete install of VRC. I would post in the VATSIM VRC forum and see if anyone has any troubleshooting steps to correct this.

The way you are changing the VRC files will work fine. I have used Euroscope locally with our sector file and haven't had any issues. So just because an ARTCC doesn't "have" Euroscope files doesn't mean you cannot change them to work with Euroscope. We have a couple controllers who use it due to using a Mac or other issues and haven't had any problems with them being able to control.

Chris Pierce

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC files to EUROSCOPE
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:36:42 PM »
Roger that

Thanks very much

Chris

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC files to EUROSCOPE
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »
If vZID have Euroscope files, why are you using the VRC sector file in Euroscope?

I suggest you speak with one of the instructors or mentors at your ARTCC to help you setup Euroscope correctly, you should not be using VRC files in ESE if you have Euroscope files available, for example, an ESE is not just a POF file, but it has more elements, which you will have to have when you progress.

Cheers!
Rahul
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:51:20 AM by Rahul Parkar »

Cameron Negrete

• ZLC Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://
VRC files to EUROSCOPE
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:57 AM »
Quote from: Rahul Parkar
If vZID have Euroscope files, why are you using the VRC sector file in Euroscope?

I suggest you speak with one of the instructors or mentors at your ARTCC to help you setup Euroscope correctly, you should not be using VRC files in ESE if you have Euroscope files available, for example, an ESE is not just a POF file, but it has more elements, which you will have to have when you progress.

Cheers!
Rahul
I think what he is saying is that he may want to visit or transfer and want to know how to convert the files.

Realistically, you need to approach this process like programming.  Start with basic VRC files, sct and sct2 files.  Understand what all the headers and stuff do.  Then attempt to read the euroscope documentation and understand.  Personally i've found that unless you have someone who knows what they are doing, you aren't going to have much success.  You can get basic functions down, but the more advanced stuff like automatic handoffs, radar blind spots, and correlated vs uncorrelated, you need to have someone who is good with the program help you out.

Cameron