VRC/Sector files

Doug W. Lane

• Members
    • View Profile
VRC/Sector files
« on: August 11, 2013, 05:35:50 AM »
I have downloaded and installed VRC, gone to KC website and downloaded sector, POF, and alias files, extracted them to the VRC folder.
I am unable to located these files when I start VRC. I think it is because they are not formatted correctly. In the Properties box for these files they show 'Opens with: Windows Shell Common..." and I am unable to change. As I recall, most files associated with VRC are formatted to open with notepad or the like.
What should I do?

DWLane
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:47:17 AM by Don Desfosse »

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
VRC/Sector files
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
Confirm the following file extensions:
Sector file: .sct2
Position file: .pof
Alias file: .txt

Upon loading VRC: File>Open Sector File
Settings>General - Browse for POF and Alias file

In the event you lost the proper file extensions, a rename via command prompt can be utilized to fix it. But yes, I recommend editting such in notepad or a more powerful text editor (i.e., PSPad, etc.).

Marcus Becker

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
VRC/Sector files
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »
I may be mistaken but I think with the newest version of VRC, the user files are actually now to be located in the .../My Documents/VRC/ folder?

For the file association, you can go to your control panel and select "Programs" then "Default Programs" and "Set Associations" then scroll to .sct2 file type and select Notepad.

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
VRC/Sector files
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
Doug,

I'm giving you the same reply I sent via email... hopefully in the future we can consolidate communications to one venue.    

As Rick explained, the extracted files are .sct2 .pof and .txt files.  Please confirm you are not trying to actually "open" these files in Windows Explorer.  That will result in errors as Windows doesn't know how to open .sct2 or .pof files.

Quote from: Rick Rump
Upon loading VRC: File>Open Sector File
Settings>General - Browse for POF and Alias file

This should work, if it does not, we'll have to figure something else out.