FAA releases final VOR Decommissioning Policy

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
FAA releases final VOR Decommissioning Policy
« on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:53 PM »
I was initially going to post this in the main VATSIM forum, but here would be better. I just saw this squawked over at FlightAware:

http://flightaware.com/squawks/view/1/24_hours/popular/56667/FAA_Releases_VOR_Decommissioning_Policy
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2016-07-26/faa-releases-vor-decommissioning-policy

FAA Releases VOR Decommissioning Policy
by Kerry Lynch
 - July 26, 2016, 11:53 AM
The FAA formally published its policy including the criteria for selecting hundreds of VOR navigation aids that will be decommissioned over the next decade. The policy, released today, further outlines the process for decommissioning. The agency has selected 308 VORs to be decommissioned as the agency moves to a satellite-based navigational system.

It originally proposed the policy in 2011, and initially indicated plans to decommission more than 500 VORs. Industry groups, including the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, protested, arguing that a larger VOR minimum operational network is necessary to serve as a backup in case there should be a widespread GPS satellite outage.

The FAA then worked with an industry group to refine criteria for VORs that should be saved and established a two-phase timeline for the decommissioning of the VORs. Under the criteria, the FAA has opted to retain VORs to perform ILS, localizer or VOR approaches with 100 nm of locations within the continental U.S.; support international oceanic arrival routes; and provide coverage above 5,000 feet agl. The agency will also retain most in the Western U.S. mountainous area, those required for military use, and those outside the continental U.S. Supplementing that criteria, the FAA considered only agency-owned/operated VORs for discontinuance and decided to retain co-located DME and Tactical Air Navigation systems when VOR service is terminated.

Under the plan, 74 VORs are set for decommissioning through Phase 1, which is ongoing through 2020. Under Phase 2, which is to take place between 2021 and 2025, 234 more VORs will be decommissioned. The FAA last fall received investment plan approval and had announced the list of the first 35 to be decommissioned.

The PDF of the policy is located here. In looking at these, especially regarding the airways that those VORs are on, that would subsequently mean that those segments of that particular airway may be decommissioned as well.

While it doesn't look as bad for my sector (in fact, only preferred non-RNAV routes to airports outside of ZLA would be impacted), I look at an airport like KOMA, and notice a big issue: Nearly every VOR used as a transition to a STAR into KOMA is impacted:

• ONL: Used on HOWRY1.
  • OBH: Used on HOWRY1
  • SUX: Used on SUX1.
  • PWE: Used on PWE1.
  • FOD: Used on LANTK1.

Only GRI, LNK, DSM, LMN, and STJ were spared (required for arrivals into DSM, MCI, LNK, and OFF). While these would be phased out over a period of time, this would require a complete rewrite of all of the STARs into KOMA.

I'm pretty sure other major airports are impacted as well (DEN is going away, ORD is going away, and that includes if they provide DME and/or TACAN services). It's a huge list, so it may be worth looking at, as this appears to be finalized.

BL.

Corey Burt

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: FAA releases final VOR Decommissioning Policy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »
Poor KOMA my home airport ):. I hope this might be a good thing though we might get RNAV arrivals out of it.

Corey Burt
ZME EC

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »
Lots of changes going on! We've already got our NextGen stuff in and working well so we've been seeing legacy arrivals and departures getting canned about every other cycle. Looking at the PDF, we've got a bunch that will be going down, BSR is probably the biggest one we'll lose and will kill off the BSR arrival. The first 8 listed under Phase 1 are all within ZOA.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
Poor KOMA my home airport ):. I hope this might be a good thing though we might get RNAV arrivals out of it.

Corey Burt
ZME EC

I agree. My home as well (literally; born/raised there). But when you look at the SIDs, they're hit hard as well. FOD, SUX, OBH, ONL, PWE, and ICT are all gone. That kills the bulk of the departures in which those VORs transition to a STAR.

All in all, not too bad for Omaha.. Chicago, on the other hand, is due for a lot of rewrites, as a lot of the VORs used for RNAV and non-RNAV SIDs and STARs are being removed, which mucks with their entire setup.

Lots of changes going on! We've already got our NextGen stuff in and working well so we've been seeing legacy arrivals and departures getting canned about every other cycle. Looking at the PDF, we've got a bunch that will be going down, BSR is probably the biggest one we'll lose and will kill off the BSR arrival. The first 8 listed under Phase 1 are all within ZOA.

This is why I wanted to bring this up. Seeing that we (VATSIM) still support everything going back to FS9, those VORs, as far as we are concerned, would still exist. When they do get dropped, for the sake of realism, should we drop them as well, or continue with them to accommodate the legacy simulators?

BL.

Gary Morris

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Atlanta Center
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:01:04 AM »
This is why I wanted to bring this up. Seeing that we (VATSIM) still support everything going back to FS9, those VORs, as far as we are concerned, would still exist. When they do get dropped, for the sake of realism, should we drop them as well, or continue with them to accommodate the legacy simulators?

BL.

It's an interesting point you raise. At ZTL, we've always strived to follow real world procedures as much as possible. That being said, I don't think we can drop these navaids and expect everyone to follow the new procedures instantly. For one thing, some people don't get AIRAC updates. We still get people filing departure and arrival procedures which are 4 or 5 revisions out of date. We just accommodate them as best as possible.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 08:04:21 AM »
I'll throw this out there....  There are those that respect realism and our simulation of realism enough to say to the pilots, "that arrival/etc. doesn't exist anymore" and will encourage the pilots to update their GPSs/FMCs, etc.  Then, once that message has been delivered, they'll either vector the pilot and/or pull out the old chart that is still archived on their ARTCC's server and get them down.  Those are the guys I respect the most -- try to get the pilot looking forward but still get them on the ground or on their way.  Like most large changes (I'm remembering back to the "taxi to" vs. "taxi via" change, "line up and wait", RNAV arrivals/departures coming on the scene, etc.), it won't come instantly, it will take some time, but as long as we're all pushing the pilots to get with the program and then helping them the best we can, we're living the values of the organization.