ATC bookings in USA

Patrick WEISSE

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC bookings in USA
« on: May 17, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »
Hello
I am flying in France and would like to know when and where I can get ATC service in the USA.
Do you have some kind of ATC bookings calendar as they have in Vatsim central for Europe ?
Thanks.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: ATC bookings in USA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 07:40:06 AM »
Sorry, Patrick, that does not exist in the US at present.  Many individual ARTCCs have their own booking calendars (as an example, upper left corner of https://forum.bvartcc.com/home) but I don't believe anyone has or is working an initiative to display a centralized calendar for the US (like VATUK does with the VATUK Central Training System, which is what I believe you were referring to). 

There have occasionally been requests by folks in the community for a truly centralized global ATC calendar, but no developers (to the best of my knowledge) have stepped forward to undertake such a project.  There are likely already systems out there that could handle bookings on a global level, but again not enough pull from the community combined with interest from any developer(s) to make it happen.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Patrick WEISSE

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 07:47:29 AM »
Thanks Don for your reply
Sadly it is difficult for Europeans to fly with Vatsim in the USA, not only because of the time difference.!

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 03:09:55 PM »
In my opinion, that's a personal opinion.  If one values rigidity in a plan over spontaneously enjoying whatever ATC is online, then I suppose that could be a valid argument.  However, many thousands of people, including many hundreds of Europeans, fly happily in the US every day.  To each his own.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2023, 07:21:33 PM »
The VATUSA Events Calendar is my go-to resource for when I should expect ATC coverage.  Not only will the host facility or facilities be staffed up, but their immediate neighbors usually will as well.
Cheers,
-R.

Brian Price

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2023, 10:58:48 PM »
In my opinion, that's a personal opinion.  If one values rigidity in a plan over spontaneously enjoying whatever ATC is online, then I suppose that could be a valid argument.  However, many thousands of people, including many hundreds of Europeans, fly happily in the US every day.  To each his own.
I would not describe this as 'rigidity vs spontaneous enjoyment'.  I would describe a schedule as predictable for planning purposes, instead of chasing ATC all over the place, only to have it shut down as you're ready for taxi.  Now that's enjoyment!  And I would not describe it as either/or - you could have some ARTCCs that have a schedule periodically, in addition to the published events.  I do find it frustrating at times when I want to practice and use ATC and it pops up and goes away before you can use it.  Having some degree of predictability would be very helpful to many pilots; Europeans and otherwise.