Getting frustrated with flying using voice

Brian Barnes

• Members
    • View Profile
Getting frustrated with flying using voice
« on: June 25, 2015, 06:45:20 AM »
I am getting frustrated with my attempts to use voice radio communication during flights. Being new to this, however, I have to wonder if it is just something I need to get used to, or if there is some other problem.

I started again with voice last night. The ATC was very patient and professional, but I finally gave up and had to switch to text only. It seemed as if about 1/3 of everything I was hearing from both ATC and other pilots was mumbled. I had a notepad with me, and I knew what to expect, but some of the details - like squawk code and heading - couldn't be made out.

I have attached to TS3 and chatted with folks, and it is clear as a bell, so I don't think the problem is junk headphones. Maybe it is just really old ears? Anyway, I'm thinking of switching to voice only, but to continue listening and hopefully I'll get used to it. I know this is an extra load for ATC, but it has to be better than hearing 'say again' several times.

What are others experience with this? Does it usually take several flights before you can understand clearly what is being said?

Brian.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
Re: Getting frustrated with flying using voice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
Brian, I understand your frustration, and it's shared by many folks until they get a few flights under their belt.  There are a lot of variables in play, and some of it is systemic, too.  If you've been around aviation a while (real world), you can generally anticipate what the controller is going to say and in what order; that helps a lot.  Also, note that the voice codecs VATSIM uses are old and kept that way to aid in backward compatibility, although at some point you have to cut the old stuff loose.  So the network, by (old) design, is not as clear as a bell as TeamSpeak.  Other variables can include how fast the controller is talking, internet lag, etc.

My suggestion, though, is to keep plugging away and trying voice every time.  It does get better as you get used to it.  One thing I suggest you also try is to file, in your flight plan comments, something along the lines of "Old ears, please speak slowly and clearly".  It's a mildly humorous way to let the controller know (if he looks at your flight strip) that you'd appreciate your instructions in a slower, clearer manner.  Sometimes when controllers get busy, they rattle stuff off faster than professional auctioneers! 

Another thing you might try is changing the audio input/output type in your client.  Assuming you're using vPilot, it's in the Audio tab, the Microphone Device and Output Device.  If you're using Wave, try Direct (and vice versa).  Note that many people find it better to have the audio device set to the opposite of what their TS device setting is (i.e. if TS is set for Direct, use Wave on VATSIM).

Keep at it, and all the best.

Brian Barnes

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
Don,

Thanks for the reply, and the encouragement. I'll give what you say a try.

Brian.

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
Agreed 100% with Don.

I guess that is why he is VATUSA1

Now if you will excuse me, I have something on my nose... Haha