Mac OS compatibility

Josh Hjemvick

• Members
    • View Profile
Mac OS compatibility
« on: March 28, 2023, 12:55:07 PM »
Hi folks,

It's been quite a long time for me. I did do a cursory search of the forum but am wondering if there's been an updated process or suggestion.

In an effort to return back to this hobby, I'd much prefer to not go out and buy a windows laptop. Currently have a 14in MBP that I'd like insight from folks on how best to use it for VATSIM. Appreciate your time.

JH

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Re: Mac OS compatibility
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
Flying, controlling, or both?
Cheers,
-R.

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 08:03:39 PM »
Hi folks,

It's been quite a long time for me. I did do a cursory search of the forum but am wondering if there's been an updated process or suggestion.

In an effort to return back to this hobby, I'd much prefer to not go out and buy a windows laptop. Currently have a 14in MBP that I'd like insight from folks on how best to use it for VATSIM. Appreciate your time.

JH

JH! yes, it's been a while!

Okay, here's the question.. Is your MBP an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon Mac? If Apple Silicon, there is nothing you can really do that is native to the Mac for controlling. You may be able to get away with running a VM with Parallels and use Windows 10 for ARM, then you may be able to run something like vSTARs, vERAM, or CRC when it comes out. Ross would be able to chime in more on this to say which clients would work through that.

If you're running an Intel-based Mac, you could still use VRC via Crossover if you want to stay solely Mac Native. Otherwise, you can run anything like VMWare Fusion, VmWare Workstation, or use BootCamp and load Windows onto your Mac and use any client you'd like.

BL.

Josh Hjemvick

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2023, 10:27:25 PM »
Brad! Hello!

And thank you for this break down. It is Apple silicon. I’m already carrying a lot of equipment when I’m on the road and had hoped to not add another laptop to the mix.

I’ll take a look at a parallels set up. My only concern with using a VM was perhaps any latency issues. Obviously controlling can be a time sensitive matter…

Hi folks,

JH

JH! yes, it's been a while!

Okay, here's the question.. Is your MBP an Intel Mac or an Apple Silicon Mac? If Apple Silicon, there is nothing you can really do that is native to the Mac for controlling. You may be able to get away with running a VM with Parallels and use Windows 10 for ARM, then you may be able to run something like vSTARs, vERAM, or CRC when it comes out. Ross would be able to chime in more on this to say which clients would work through that.

If you're running an Intel-based Mac, you could still use VRC via Crossover if you want to stay solely Mac Native. Otherwise, you can run anything like VMWare Fusion, VmWare Workstation, or use BootCamp and load Windows onto your Mac and use any client you'd like.

BL.