KIAH vs MMMX Crossfire 11/9/13 2300z - 0400z

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:16:25 PM »
[img]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc73/ajeppesen1453/crossfire3copia_zpsfda710e8.jpg\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Join the Houston ARTCC and VATMEX for a Crossfire event of epic proportions between Houston George Bush Intercontinental (KIAH) and Benito Juárez International Airport (MMMX) on Nov 9th, 2013 2300z - 0400z.
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC

Retired VATUSA2, VATUSA7, VATUSA10

Marcus Becker

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:25:31 PM »
Um.... Your banner states 11/9 but on the VATUSA callendar, it says 11/10. I sure hope your banner is incorrect as the Denver ARTCC and Salt Lake ARTCC have an event in the books. I would hate to see us stealing traffic from each other.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 03:11:05 PM »
Fear not....  We do not approve conflicting events.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »
So... Are we saying we can't participate in an Event sponsored by another Division of VATSIM beacuse there is an Event going on in VATUSA's airspace....? This is not scheduled on the VATUSA calendar, and was never attempted it was simply posted to let people know it would also be going on.  Its not meant to compete with another artcc's event.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:40:22 PM by Tony Jeppesen »
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
I'm saying VATUSA, for at least the past 6 years (and continuing under my leadership), has taken the stance that first come, first served, and does not approve the posting to the calendar or advertising of events that conflict with preexisting, approved events.  In situations where another Division wishes to co-sponsor an event like this, and they reach out to you to work with them directly, it is advisable to let the other Division know of the conflict and see if another mutually agreeable date is possible that does not conflict with a preexisting event.  Events that cannot be advertised won't draw as many pilots, and could/would result in a poor showing and reflect poorly on VATUSA.  It's a simple matter of respecting each of the ARTCCs within our Division and not stepping on toes.  

Your ARTCC requested approval for this event on the 10th and the 10th was approved.  Suggest you apologize to VATMEX for the confusion and work with them to see if the 10th is acceptable to them, or come up with a mutually acceptable alternate date.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:03:48 PM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:15:20 PM »
It was talked about with VATMEX and they wished to proceed with the event even though there was an event that was scheduled.  Do to the lack of available dates, and VATUSA's policy on only 1 event per day being allowed on the schedule i was though i could post here apparently not.  Don, I have had people post advertising for events in this forum during the same times we were having events and there was no complaining about it.  I have no problem with 2 events going on at same time and believe it could be beneficial to both events.  I will cancel this event effective immediately not to "step on anyone's toes" If VATUSA allowed for 2 events per day at different times I think it would allow for a better event experience.  Example.... Seattle holds their Good Morning Seattle Events.  This event is starts at 9am Pacific time on a Saturday (The day most people are on VATSIM), making it so no one can advertise for an event that day.

Also  you may want to take another look at the Event for 11/10 that is scheduled by ZSE just so you know thats Seattle's Event!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:19:33 PM by Tony Jeppesen »
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »
Two events on the same day with different times is absolutely fine, and always has been.  I think once or twice there have been events that may overlap by an hour or less, and I won't swear to it, but I don't recall there being an issue with that.  If you and ZDV and ZSE are OK with you leaving your banner in this thread, knowing it won't be placed on the calendar due to the overlap, then it falls under the "no complaints, no problem" category in my mind.  I do not love the idea of less VATUSA traffic for a joint VATUSA/VATMEX event if that causes us a black eye, but if you explain it to VATMEX, and they understand, then that's resolved in my mind as well.  And yes, I misread the 11/10 calendar entry; thanks for the correction.
Don Desfosse

Tony Jeppesen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
I already have contact VATMEX and advised them of the situation and this was in conflict with an event on the VATUSA calandar and that and that the ATM of the ARTCC took serious issue with this as he stated in his email to the staff here at Houston, and the event will have to be rescheduled at later date as to a date and time that will not conflict with any other events.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:59:26 PM by Tony Jeppesen »
Tony Jeppesen - C3
ZSE ARTCC