[30MAY] Light Up America!

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
[30MAY] Light Up America!
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »

VATUSA is excited to announce the return of Light Up America on Saturday May 30, 2015. This event will feature all 22 ARTCCs within VATUSA for 10 hours. 4 hours of which the entire continental USA will be lit up with Air Traffic Control at the Centers as well as Major Approach and Tower facilities. Enjoy uninterrupted ATC during the event. Simply fly between any airports as much you would like and enjoy the quality ATC Services that VATUSA facilities pride themselves on.

Every facility will be on for at least a 6 hour time frame with the East Coast facilities starting up at 12:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time. As the event progresses, the additional centers will log on at noon in their local time zone. By 3:00 PM all the centers will be online for you. As the event winds down, facilities will be encouraged to remain online, but must remain online until at least 6:00 PM local time. As they begin to close down, we will extend the event even further west with the Anchorage, Honolulu, and Oakland Oceanic control facilities coming online to work your Hawaii and Alaska flights! It will be a great day of flying for you.

We have lots of prizes available to those pilots that do a bit of exploring around the country during the event.

Pilot Briefing and Contest rules can be found here http://tiny.cc/hjcnyx
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 12:03:27 PM by Matthew Bartels »

Ryan Parry

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: [30MAY] Light Up America!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 10:01:06 PM »
Just a heads up, on the home page it says it is on the 29th

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »
Fixed, thanks much.

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 06:21:33 PM »
Thanks Eric. Will fix it.

Bar Rodoy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 09:23:54 AM »
Hey!
Will the point count only for the arrival airport? Lets say I am flying from PHNL to KLAX, will I get 6 points?

Thanks in advance!
Bar Rodoy,
Vatsim Israel

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:45:32 AM »
Hey!
Will the point count only for the arrival airport? Lets say I am flying from PHNL to KLAX, will I get 6 points?

Thanks in advance!
Bar Rodoy,
Vatsim Israel

You only receive points for the first landing in each center. In your example, flying HNL-LAX, you would only receive 1 point for your landing in LAX.

While the event does not dictate where you can fly, the spirit of the event is to experience as many controllers as you can that day  :)

Bar Rodoy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
Lets say I am flying from MDW to OMA, I should get 2 points for landing at OMA. Then I am flying from MDW to IAD. Will I get 2 points for landing in IAD too? Even Becasue I deprated from Chicago ARTCC twice...?

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
Lets say I am flying from MDW to OMA, I should get 2 points for landing at OMA. Then I am flying from MDW to IAD. Will I get 2 points for landing in IAD too? Even Becasue I deprated from Chicago ARTCC twice...?

Yes. Departure airports do not matter. Only arrival airports.

Bar Rodoy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 02:07:46 PM »
Thanks!

Bar Rodoy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »
Just completed a flight from JFK to BUF. The flight crashed after I land at BUF but I didnt make it to the gate, it crahsed after I have vacated the runway. Will the points count?

Thanks
Bar Rodoy

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
Just completed a flight from JFK to BUF. The flight crashed after I land at BUF but I didnt make it to the gate, it crahsed after I have vacated the runway. Will the points count?

Thanks
Bar Rodoy

The script should have captured that flight.

John Da Costa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 05:07:52 PM »
I am rapidly approaching Oceanic to cross to Honolulu any idea if oakland oceanic and SF radio coming online? Would be swell to have been controled all the way

Zachary Beard

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
Awesome job Matt! Let's make this a more common occurrence, perhaps a every-other-month style could work? Prizes don't have to be included each time unless that's doable.

Just a thought, wouldn't hurt to try!

Keep up the great volunteerism.

Kyle Sanders

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
Awesome job Matt! Let's make this a more common occurrence, perhaps a every-other-month style could work? Prizes don't have to be included each time unless that's doable.

Would be nice but we at ZLC get less traffic than a normal day on the past two LUAs.

Michael Watkins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »

I think that a more frequently organized assembly, whether regional or the whole division, is a great way to enhance everyone's experience and contribute to the hobby (at least IMHO... :) ) There's a lot of opportunity to dwell on the negative, so ... let's chalk-up some positive opportunities ... like maybe attracting more regular fliers to your home ARTCC, or inspiring less active controllers back, or providing student training opportunities? Just trying to put a positive spin on this thread ... I hope something works out ... g'day everyone!