Delegation prevents burn out!

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
Quote from: David Rodriguez
Delegation prevents burn out!

Not always. It can also keep you up nights worrying about where someone else may have left the keys to your castle.  
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:36:07 AM by Ira Robinson »

John Cierpial

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Quote from: Ira Robinson
Not always. It can also keep you up nights worrying about where someone else may have left the keys to your castle.  

Exactly. Delegation is a double edged sword and really, it's up to the individual to decide what he thinks is best.  Nate, as for your comment, again, it doesn't matter if he announces it to the world or doesn't tell anyone what he plans to do.  It's his philosophy and what he's operating on.  Do you (or anyone else) really believe that a staff position is left vacant because Gary just feels like leaving it vacant?  Most things are done (or not done) for a reason.  The reason doesn't need to be known to anyone but the person in charge.

Luke Kolin

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »
Quote from: John Cierpial
Most things are done (or not done) for a reason.  The reason doesn't need to be known to anyone but the person in charge.

That works in the Army, or in a corporation. It doesn't work in a volunteer organization - the only currency you have to attract and retain volunteers is engagement and participation. If you don't want to communicate to members, you shouldn't be surprised if you can't find enough engaged volunteers.

I presume that VATUSA has an overwhelming number of controllers where all positions are being staffed and they need to turn people away?

Cheers!

Luke

Nate Coffield

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Quote from: John Cierpial
Exactly. Delegation is a double edged sword and really, it's up to the individual to decide what he thinks is best.  Nate, as for your comment, again, it doesn't matter if he announces it to the world or doesn't tell anyone what he plans to do.  It's his philosophy and what he's operating on.  Do you (or anyone else) really believe that a staff position is left vacant because Gary just feels like leaving it vacant?  Most things are done (or not done) for a reason.  The reason doesn't need to be known to anyone but the person in charge.

John,

Sure we can just sit back and wait and see what happens.....but some of us invest countless hours into this division to help make it better. My experience is at the ARTCC level.  ARTCCS are what make this division. To ask a simple question and not be given an answer or anything for that matter is a slap in the face.  Without the members you have no division to run. (and please do not reply with the "there is the door reply.  Mr Bartels had a great response to that thinking) The philosophy that you are implying may work for a while, but eventually those that do care for this division and work hard for this division will be gone.  Is a simple heads up really that much to ask?  It is not like we are asking a play by play of the events of every day at VATUSA.  Just something to chew on for a while.  If it is too much to ask then that all someone needs to say.  So, someone please throw us a bone.  Nothing sense 2009 pretty bad.

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:06 AM »
Quote from: Luke Kolin
That works in the Army, or in a corporation. It doesn't work in a volunteer organization - the only currency you have to attract and retain volunteers is engagement and participation. If you don't want to communicate to members, you shouldn't be surprised if you can't find enough engaged volunteers.

I presume that VATUSA has an overwhelming number of controllers where all positions are being staffed and they need to turn people away?

Cheers!

Luke

That's nonsense. The process of engaging volunteers has nothing to do with knowing what's going on behind the curtain at a level that most members will never care about. They want to control and they want to fly and as long as the network is there when they want to do that then all is fine with the world. They care more about what happened last night on the ARTCC Teamspeak. You want to disenfranchise your volunteers watch how fast someone with an agenda can tear apart an ARTCC.

For  the most part what goes on at the "corporate level" doesn't effect any of us unless there are decisions being made that change our day to day operations. I don't need to know what Gary is doing to do my job or see to it that my controllers are having fun doing theirs, all I need to know is that he's paying the electric bill each month so the network doesn't go down.  It's not my job to be a watchdog of the corporate office. There are other people higher up on the food chain who are tasked to do that.

That goes for staffing the office as well. I don't care if a few desks sit empty as long as the job is being done.  As far as I'm concerned the only state of the state I want to hear is "things are fine, nothing has changed now go play".  

But then no one would have anything to argue about and there wouldn't be an excuse to start another discussion on what's right or wrong with VATUSA.

So not to defend Gary or anything, he is certainly able to do that himself, but what is it exactly you would have him say?  "I haven't filled any of  the positions because I don't see the need right now?"
What else?  I must admit I am quite curious what it is that people are so interested in hearing that the managment style of VATUSA1 is being questioned.  

As for the comment that trying to get answers to questions is like pulling teeth I must admit that I myself have not experienced that problem and so I can't address it. Whenever I have a question for Gary he has been most forthcoming in his response. He doesn't always get to it right away, but I presume that he prioritizes his correspondance in some manner and I am alright with that because he has never not gotten back to me.  

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 08:17:44 AM by Ira Robinson »

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
Is this topic done yet?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:45:55 PM by Nicholas Falcicchio »

Ira Robinson

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 02:03:49 PM »
Quote from: Nicholas Falcicchio
Is this topic done yet?

Sorry Boss.  I know.  Be there in time for supper......
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:06:35 PM by Ira Robinson »

Gary Millsaps

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »
And where is my invitation to the soiree???

Kevin Kan

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
Blue-bu-badu

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Quote from: Gary Millsaps
And where is my invitation to the soiree???

You mean the coup d'état?

This is a huge waste of time. The approach was wrong from the "pre-planning stage." Have to look past the surface.

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
You're overlooking the intrinsic entertainment value, Nick.

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 10:31:17 PM »
Quote from: Tom Seeley
You're overlooking the intrinsic entertainment value, Nick.

Haha, I cashed in on that immediately.

Pan Lalas

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »
I'm always in for a good old coup d'etat! Count me in.

Nicola Felini

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
A sad state of affairs
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 11:41:54 PM »
Quote from: Pan Lalas
I'm always in for a good old coup d'etat! Count me in.

Are you looking for any staff for VATPAN? Lol.