Potential Changes to VATSIM

Michael Marsh

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I was flying over this past weekend, and the ATC kept logging off. As someone who dislikes UNICOM, this was not anything good. Then I thought, why doesn't VATSIM limit the control type that controllers can log on as to a center within a region (except during events). This way, it is almost guaranteed that a controller will be online, when you step into your aircraft. This should at least be done in VATUSA, so each ARTCC can be covered during the day. This has been demonstrated with LAX_CTR, when one person controlled everything in ZLA. Besides this, VATSIM is a great way to get a full flight experience. If there is any other way that VATSIM could improve. Please feel free to post.

Best regards,
    Michael Marsh Jr.

[img]http://www.zonexecutive.com/lib/signatures/ZE229.png\\\" border=\\\"0\\\" class=\\\"linked-image\\\" /]

Colin Schoen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
Because controlling center is entirely different than controlling delivery...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:25:37 PM by Colin Schoen »

Michael Martin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 12:16:49 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what you are proposing here....

If you are talking about a Center Controller (C1+) controlling all of the airports, down to the ground, that fall under his airspace:  This is already what happens on VATSIM.  It is called Top-Down services and is one of the reasons you start your training as an S1 in the Delivery/Ground role.

If you are talking about a large center that oversees a vast area of the United States, an area that encompasses several ARTCC's within it:  That idea has been discussed by the membership at large and the decision was made to model the FAA's airspace layout in a more realistic fashion.  This idea is  known as a "Super Center" and the proposal was declined earlier this year.

If neither of these is what you are talking about:  Please try to explain it again in a different manner.

Dylan Lundberg

• ZME Staff
    • View Profile
    • Fly High Virtual
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:52:49 PM »
Quote from: Michael Martin
I'm not entirely sure what you are proposing here....

If you are talking about a Center Controller (C1+) controlling all of the airports, down to the ground, that fall under his airspace:  This is already what happens on VATSIM.  It is called Top-Down services and is one of the reasons you start your training as an S1 in the Delivery/Ground role.

If you are talking about a large center that oversees a vast area of the United States, an area that encompasses several ARTCC's within it:  That idea has been discussed by the membership at large and the decision was made to model the FAA's airspace layout in a more realistic fashion.  This idea is  known as a "Super Center" and the proposal was declined earlier this year.

If neither of these is what you are talking about:  Please try to explain it again in a different manner.

Well Said! Couldn't Have said it any better myself!