Class D Tower Reference Sheet

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »
I have created a simple Class D local control reference sheet for ZDV students and wanted to share it with the community. ARTCCs may distribute this under their own domain name and may modify as necessary. No credit is necessary; this is all commonly available information.

http://denartcc.org/a/sites/default/files/...rence_Sheet.pdf
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:53:19 PM by Harold Rutila »

Tommy Rogers

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 06:51:22 AM »
Very handy!  Thanks for the nice guide!
Tommy Rogers, C-3
ZOB Air Traffic Manager
Vatsim Supervisor

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
While not huge, a heavy is 300,000 lbs maximum certified takeoff weight or greater as opposed to just greater than 300,000.

Traffic information is very loose for VFR towers/Visual towers or even towers in general.  Those with CTRDs may use traffic advisories, but traffic information given by visual references is really loose (and there is a difference between Traffic Advisories and Traffic Information).

Traffic information only says to describe the relative position in an easy to understand manner.  That means you could say "Traffic, Baron on a left base" or "Traffic, Piper 3 mile final" etc.  You aren't restricted to ahead and to your right.  Or even "Traffic, Cessna Skylane departing runway 7L" (as opposed to extending downwind, give traffic information on departing aircraft so that the pilot will extend downwind and turn base for you.. telling an aircraft "extend downwind, I'll call your base" is a personal pet peeve of mine because efficient traffic flow can still be done with proper traffic information.  You tell the pilots what is going on better too, so you can help them help you.).

As far as VFR aircraft entering the pattern, it is usually better practice to have them enter a specific leg as opposed to just "enter left traffic" so that you get a better idea on your picture.  "N12345, enter left downwind runway 7L.  Expect to follow Piper Cub turning crosswind." When they report the traffic in sight, you can then say "Follow that traffic".

Otherwise, nice job.  Should come in handy for your controllers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:35:19 AM by Daniel Hawton »

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »
Very nicely done Harold.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)
Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Salvatore Barcia

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
Great work, Harold!
Salvatore Christopher  Barcia
Cross the Gulf President
ACE Team Member
Miami ARTCC

[img]http://www.vatsim.net/badges/atc1o.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 09:49:51 PM »
Daniel,

You are correct on a number of those points, and between the late nights of putting this together, I overlooked a few things. The MTOW for heavies is of particular importance, as is the note about traffic information vs. advisories.

For me, the preferred method is to always call pilot bases if I can. My experience with the traffic notification and then a "follow" instruction has been that pilots will either turn way too early to allow for proper spacing, or turn way too late and cause a multitude of other issues. Granted, it's completely a controller's prerogative, but the way I hear it at Class Ds and Cs all over uses that method.

Needless to say, there are probably 10-20 different ways to do everything at Class D towers, but I just wanted to give some tips for new controllers and even those radar guys who sometimes forget about their S2 days .

I'll let you all know when I have a chance to update.

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
Daniel,

You are correct on a number of those points, and between the late nights of putting this together, I overlooked a few things. The MTOW for heavies is of particular importance, as is the note about traffic information vs. advisories.

For me, the preferred method is to always call pilot bases if I can. My experience with the traffic notification and then a "follow" instruction has been that pilots will either turn way too early to allow for proper spacing, or turn way too late and cause a multitude of other issues. Granted, it's completely a controller's prerogative, but the way I hear it at Class Ds and Cs all over uses that method.

Needless to say, there are probably 10-20 different ways to do everything at Class D towers, but I just wanted to give some tips for new controllers and even those radar guys who sometimes forget about their S2 days .

I'll let you all know when I have a chance to update.

I love messing with the guys who fail at the follow.. "Go around left side, traffic on the runway"

Really is controller preference, around here all the C/Ds use follow and assume pilots are grown up enough to know their aircraft and how to space themselves properly.   But then again, FAA doesn't like letting pilots think, hence the movement to the Kindergarten queue instruction "Line up and wait [kiddies]".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 11:29:26 PM by Daniel Hawton »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
Quote from: Daniel Hawton
Really is controller preference, around here all the C/Ds use follow and assume pilots are grown up enough to know their aircraft and how to space themselves properly.   But then again, FAA doesn't like letting pilots think, hence the movement to the Kindergarten queue instruction "Line up and wait [kiddies]".
HAHA...tell me about it.

Brian Pryor

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 01:00:29 AM »
Great work Harold, this would be a great addition to the USA training materials!
Brian Pryor