Best place to start as an new ATC

Tomas Pritchard

• Members
    • View Profile
Best place to start as an new ATC
« on: April 13, 2019, 08:33:59 AM »
Heyo, Im new to the VatSim community and was looking to become a controller, Im just stuck on where to pick as my division. Id like to start somewhere which would be simple but would like it to be busy enough so that its more challenging. I have done ATC in various other sims before so I have some experience.

Thx,
Thomas

David Stone

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
Re: Best place to start as an new ATC
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »
Hello Thomas,

Welcome to VATSIM and VATUSA. Picking an ARTCC to join can be a very personal thing, as each ARTCC has it's own 'flavor' The members of the ARTCC are as much a part of it as the airspace itself. Many people choose the ARTCC based on the airspace they are familiar with (i.e., home airport contained within, favorite arrival/departure airport, etc.). The requirements you have indicated creates a pretty narrow window. Popularity often (but not always) brings complicated procedures to keep all the traffic safe and orderly. And then you also have to look at the Instructor to Student ratio to ensure you will be able to receive the training needed to advance in the ranks. Of course, once you get your initial rating assigned you can visit at other ARTCCs vary your experience for traffic levels and airspace.

The best advise I could give without making a plug for any one ARTCC would be this. Choose the ARTCC which covers a region where you most feel at home because often times the majority of the controllers will also be from that region. Then as time goes along visit other locations. Who knows, you just might find another location you enjoy more.
David Stone

Rick Rump

• VATSIM Supervisors
    • View Profile
    • vZDC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »
Thomas,
I would suggest visiting the facility websites then emailing the ATM(s) at the one(s) you like.

My personal opinion (not as a vatusa staffer) of where meetsvwhat you want:
ZMA, ZFW, and ZTL.
VATUSA Deputy Director Emeritus
Former ZDC ATM, DATM, TA & WM
VATSIM Supervisor | Team 5

Tomas Pritchard

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »
Thanks guys :D