Recommended flights

Charlie Packman

• Members
    • View Profile
Recommended flights
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:56:24 AM »
Hello,

I am wanting to start flying over in the USA. I am from the UK myself so I currently fly around Europe. I've got 90+ hours already existing from flights conducted on the network. I understand the procedures are slightly different over in the USA which I don't think will be that much of an issue for me. I'm asking around as I want to know if anybody has got some flights which they recommend for beginners flying in the USA.

Thanks.

Russell DeSpain

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended flights
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
That really all depends what you'd like to do or accomplish. If you like flying with ATC, I would suggest looking on VATSPY or Vattastic to see which facilities are online and setting up a flight that way. If you like to fly low and slow, you can pick a certain geographic region of the country you'd like to fly as well and work with any ATC that are available. It really all depends on you.
Russell DeSpain
ZID Facilities Engineer - C1
VATSIM P1 Pilot

Josh Glottmann

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
Hey Charlie, welcome to the other side of the pond!
I'd suggest approaching this as a new pilot in general. Start at a less busy controlled field and fly to another less busy field. If it's possible, try to find a place that has ATC along the route. What I would recommend doing is finding one Center that just got online and finding two Class C/D fields to fly at (take a look at skyvector.com for info on these). Then hop in your plane, maybe listen a few minutes, and then go.

There was a topic on the VATSIM forums recently about the differences between EU and US procedures. I suggest you take a look at it; it covers a majority of the differences. Let us know if you have any questions/clarifications. Click

Charlie Packman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
Do you know of any regions which are quite quiet in terms of traffic? I don't really want to be enclosed in a busy airspace on my first go!

Richard Sill

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Our Deputy Air Traffic Manager, Stu Limont, is a real world controller at London Center (sorry Centre). He controls and flies in the U.S. on VATSIM quite frequently.

Feel free to drop him a note at [email protected]

Regards,

Richard Sill
Air Traffic Manager
Memphis ARTCC

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 09:04:18 PM »
Depends on time of day of course -- outside our "peak time" pretty much everywhere is quiet.  And even during peak time, the major metropolitan areas are likely to be busy; anywhere else not as much (for example, within Atlanta Center, you can often find both Atlanta (KATL) and Birmingham (KBHM) online.  Atlanta is inside Class B airspace and generally busier.  Birmingham in inside Class C airspace and (usually) not nearly as busy.  Same for generally all of our Class C and Class D airspaces/airports.
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Matt Bozwood-Davies

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 02:43:59 PM »
Charlie Packman, that name rings a bell and goes back a few years!

As Don said, look at Class C and D airports. Common flights, you could do MCO to MIA, that's flown a lot on the network, shuttle between neighbouring ARTCCs usually provides a good flight. And as long as you read charts, normally you won't encounter any issues.

Our Deputy Air Traffic Manager, Stu Limont, is a real world controller at London Center (sorry Centre).

Isn't it London Control?
VATGOV5 - VP Development

Charlie Packman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 03:45:59 PM »
How could I ever forget you Matthew.

I will defiantly give this flight a go. I've got charts so I can always refer to them. Thanks for the info. Will I be hearing your voice on the frequency then?!

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
3 key differences between US and EU flying.

First, Transition Level/Altitude are fixed at FL180/18000

Second, the pilot is responsible for filing SIDS/STARS in the flight plan instead of them being assigned by ATC.

third, Tower will tell you to contact departure, you don't just switch over once airborne.
Matt Bartels - MT
VP Marketing and Communication
VATSIM Board of Governors