An Emergency Procedure

Paul Welsch

• Members
    • View Profile
An Emergency Procedure
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:15:09 PM »
Hello all,

What happened to me today in the server was a joke. Left KSEA in B752 talked with SEA-CTR, no ATC in between. Talked to DFW Center, No Problem. GO to DFW Approach, no comms working, only chat. I just spoke with Ctr at hand-off, switch freqs. No response from App, Left msg in Box, 30 secs to response. Controller gives me clearence to decend, read back on radio. Controller types in chat that I need to read Back. Typed a read back. Obviously controller and I can't hear each other!

In Life, you recognise the problem. You know what the aircraft is going to do he filed a FP. You don't know if the pilot can hear you, so you ask the pilot to make a 60 deg turn. If he hears, he makes the turn, you know he can hear you. If not you have a problem, and as the aircraft gets closer you clear space for him to land. Other aircraft may have to hold, some may be able to follow in a visual approach. Whatever it takes!! What you Don't do is have a fit, put nasty notes in the flight strip, and whine like a baby. Remember No chatbox in real life folks.

It amazes me how many controllers forget they are performing a service, not sitting like God in a tower

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
An Emergency Procedure
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 10:47:32 PM »
Quote from: Paul Welsch
It amazes me how many controllers forget they are performing a service, not sitting like God in a tower

Paul,

First, allow me to express my sorrow and shared frustration that you experienced a "less than stellar" event....

In light of what you've written, though it's possible that the controller was "sitting like God", it's also very possible that he was less skilled than he should be at recognizing your transition to /r/ and/or less skill than he should be at working /t/ or /r/ pilots.  Though working /t/ or /r/ is something every ATC should be able to do with no problem, the reality is that it is practiced much less frequently than /v/.  

In any case, there is certainly no need for nasty notes and whining.

I would suggest you utilize the ZFW feedback system at http://www.zfwartcc.com/pilots/feedback.php to alert ZFW leadership of the problem.  You could also email the ZFW Air Traffic Manager and/or Training administrator (at jose.suarez (at) zfwartcc.com and ampodner (at) gmail.com, respectively) to let them know of the issue.  Include screen shots of the chat window and/or your flight plan/strip, if able.

What we need to do is help call out a potential deficiency in training and/or attitude, and the ARTCC staff is best equipped to do that.

If you feel strongly, you could also contact a Supervisor or your regional DCRM with your case, including screen shots.  They could potentially take further action based on alleged violations of the Code of Conduct.  That said, since the Supervisor didn't see it first hand, the case "technically" becomes one of hearsay and packs a bit less punch.  

I, personally, think that contacting the ARTCC leadership as I described above would be your best recourse and would have the most significant impact in calling out the poor behavior to the controller and getting the attitude turned around.

Again, I'm sorry that it happened, and hope it is a once-ever incident.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Membership, VATSIM
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
An Emergency Procedure
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 10:54:31 AM »
Even after reading your post, I'm still incredibly confused on what happened here...
Ryan Geckler - GK
VATUSA9 | Traffic Management Unit Director
Former VATUSA3 | Division Training Director
Minneapolis ARTCC | RW Miami ARTCC

Jose Suarez

• Members
    • View Profile
An Emergency Procedure
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:10:18 PM »
Quote from: Ryan Geckler
Even after reading your post, I'm still incredibly confused on what happened here...

Mr. Welsch,

I would like to give you my humble apology for the communication problem we had yesterday.  For some reason there must have been a server split because there has been a lot of problem lately with the servers.  To answer some of your concern we do not sit here and think we are GOD.  As for the COMMENTS that was added to your flight strip it was done from the Ctr Controller.  I will personality take care of that situation and it will not happen again.  Hope you return to DFW and hopefully there will not be a comm problem again.  

Jose Suarez
ZFW ATM
Jose Suarez
ZFW ATM