ATC Headsets

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« on: September 26, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »
Hey everyone, I saw a a thread that seems to be outdated and about a year old, but I was wondering about any ATC headsets that anyone uses or recommends and a method to connect it with my computer (PTT would be great if possible too)

Thanks!

Nate Coffield

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
Colton,

I use a poor man's version of a PTT and headset.  I am sure others will reply with their fancy Plantronics real world headsets (which I would love to have) and foot switches.  A while back I was looking into purchasing a foot switch.  I found that the cost really wasn't worth the reward for me. Espically when I found my poor man's work around.

I have a Creative Fatal1ty USB headset.  Was like $60 when I bought it a few years back. I recommend USB headsets as the virtually act like a second sound card and allows you to route whatever you want through it.  For me I have my Teamspeak chatter coming through my headset and my Primary Frequency coming through my Speakers.  That way if I need to ignore TS I can just slip the headset off my ears and provide my full attention to my primary frequency.

For my PTT I use my pedals that I use when flying.  Any will work.  I use a program caled JoyToKey to turn my pedals into a PTT.  It takes inputs from your Joysitck Axis' and turns them into keyboard or mouse presses.  My left pedal is my PTT for Euroscope and my right pedal is set as my PTT for Teamspeak.  It works out great.

Hope that helps.

Kenneth Haught

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://vzanartcc.net
ATC Headsets
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
What a great idea Nate, I'll have to give that a shot when/if I get a set of pedals.

Anchorage Deputy Air Traffic Manager
VATSIM Senior Supervisor (Team 1)
Have a question or concern? Email me at [email protected].

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 12:57:31 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tips! I'm still trying to decide on getting a good USB headset, I'd really like to know what the voice quality difference would be vs the expensive route

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:42:07 PM »
A lot of people disagree with me, but I no longer recommend the Starset H31 for VATSIM controlling. Mine completely broke after spending around $80 on it. I have a different headset from Plantronics with noise cancelling capability, which is a nice feature. The key to getting any headset is comfort and clarity. In terms of comfort, you want something light for those long sessions. In terms of clarity, you should be able to understand your own Voice ATIS. I highly recommend getting a USB one, too.

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Harold, so which headset do you use now?

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
A lot of people disagree with me, but I no longer recommend the Starset H31 for VATSIM controlling. Mine completely broke after spending around $80 on it. I have a different headset from Plantronics with noise cancelling capability, which is a nice feature. The key to getting any headset is comfort and clarity. In terms of comfort, you want something light for those long sessions. In terms of clarity, you should be able to understand your own Voice ATIS. I highly recommend getting a USB one, too.

Still think you got a bad one. Mine's going strong 2 years in...
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:22:01 PM »
Quote from: Dhruv Kalra
I'm very tempted to try it again, but I'm a poor college student!

I use a Plantronics .Audio 476 DSP. You could actually get a similar model with the mini-boom style of the Starset H31 if you wanted to try that model.

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »
Thanks again Harold I'll look into that one for sure, and Dhruv! I spoke with you in ZMP a couple days ago, you mic sounded superb except a couple times where it was really quiet. Would that have just been from setting down the mic or something of the sort?

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
ATC Headsets
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
Quote from: Dhruv Kalra

Just an update on my headset dilemma, for those who were wondering (), my earpiece is about to snap off yet again.  I couldn't tell if the plastic on the headset itself cracked this time as has happened in the past, as I didn't want to mess with it, but I'll find out in a few days.  As well, for about 2 weeks, I have needed to double the volume just to hear anything.  That just magically resolved itself a couple days ago.  That's on the Starset.

Who knows...
Bryan Wollenberg
Retired North America Regional Director

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »
Ah, good to know. Just curious if you're using the H31 or the H31N? I actually plan on being a real controller so I'm wondering if it would be worth picking one of these up.

Don Desfosse

• VATSIM Leadership
    • View Profile
    • http://
ATC Headsets
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:19:53 PM »
It's not a Starset, doesn't have a PTT, not something that real ATC uses etc. but if you're looking for a simple USB headset that has excellent sound and voice quality, is very comfortable and is still comfortable on your head after 8+ hours, I highly recommend the Logitech USB 350.  You can get them shipped for under $13 refurbished or under $20 new on eBay.  I bought 2 about 3 years ago and finally killed one from running it over with my chair one too many times.  My other, which I bought as a backup, is working just as well as the first.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:53:16 PM by Don Desfosse »
Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations, VATSIM (VATGOV2)
Division Director Emeritus, VATUSA

Bryan Wollenberg

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.laartcc.org
ATC Headsets
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
Quote from: Colton Davis
Ah, good to know. Just curious if you're using the H31 or the H31N? I actually plan on being a real controller so I'm wondering if it would be worth picking one of these up.

If you're controlling real world in the US, you get them for free to your heart's content, for use at work.    You don't have to worry about buying your own.  I use the H81.
Bryan Wollenberg
Retired North America Regional Director

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Thank you both for in suggestions! I almost hate to say it but I'm leaning towards getting the H31 setup even though its pricey. I already have some great headphones and would feel bad not using them as much as I can/do. On a side note getting them for free wouldn't be too bad

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
Quote from: Colton Davis
Thanks again Harold I'll look into that one for sure, and Dhruv! I spoke with you in ZMP a couple days ago, you mic sounded superb except a couple times where it was really quiet. Would that have just been from setting down the mic or something of the sort?

It might have been the mic was moving around a bit, but mine generally stays pretty stationary. I was also working with a student who was transmitting on frequency half the time (except when I needed to take over for him) so that might have been part of the discrepancy in volume levels. My H31 has been rock solid for 2+ years and I wholeheartedly recommend it as a good voice-carrying headset. It's not really anything that you can keep on and pump out the jams to as it were, but it was designed to do one thing, and it does that extremely well in my opinion.
Dhruv Kalra
ZMP ATM | Instructor | Grumpy Old Man