ATC Headsets

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »
Ok, thanks a lot! Well the plan is the make the headset only transmit voice into the earpiece and let my speakers or whatever take care of the rest.  I think I'm just about sold on the H31 now

Dhruv Kalra

• ZMP Staff
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »
If you're eBay capable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plantronics-H31-St...#ht_3723wt_1378

Also, you'll need some sort of USB amplifier to connect it to your computer. If you don't necessarily need PTT functionality (or plan on buying a footswitch), you get get the Plantronics DA40 for as little as $25 depending on where you look.

The PTT part number is the SHS2355, and as of late I have yet to find it for less than $125.

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 09:58:30 PM »
Thanks for the links! I bought a H31 for $40 on ebay last night and picked up the DA40 as well for $30! I figured the PTT wasn't worth the extra $100 but I would really love to be able to get one for cheaper if they were available.

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
Ok...Dhruv got me with the price. I have a new one on the way.

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »
Quote from: Colton Davis
Thanks for the links! I bought a H31 for $40 on ebay last night and picked up the DA40 as well for $30! I figured the PTT wasn't worth the extra $100 but I would really love to be able to get one for cheaper if they were available.

The PTT was worth every cent I paid for it 5 (can't believe it's been that long) years ago for around $250 (  @ Dhruv) It is only now starting to fail on me. Wear and tear at the USB connector causes the whole shebang to disconnect if the connection is moved anywhere but the right place. Very annoying if you have a lot of aircraft on frequency and your voice goes out.

I will be purchasing a new one as soon as I can free up the funding. 5 years is quite impressive for a usb device that's been abused by me.

Rahul Parkar

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 11:49:25 AM »
Quote from: Matthew Bartels
The PTT was worth every cent I paid for it 5 (can't believe it's been that long) years ago for around $250 (  @ Dhruv) It is only now starting to fail on me. Wear and tear at the USB connector causes the whole shebang to disconnect if the connection is moved anywhere but the right place. Very annoying if you have a lot of aircraft on frequency and your voice goes out.

I will be purchasing a new one as soon as I can free up the funding. 5 years is quite impressive for a usb device that's been abused by me.

Matt,

A cheap and cheerful way of fixing this is to get an unused USB cable, doesn't matter what it's for... Chop off the USB end on both the unused cable and your PTT. Attach the cables, duck tape with some electrical tape if you have some, or regular insulation tape. Problem solved!

Main reason this works is because USB is universal, hence the name, Universal Serial Bus...

Let's say that me and USB abuse go hand in hand... My current USB headset is on it's 5th generation USB connector, currently using the connector from an old cell phone USB wire. Saying that I have had the one I'm currently using for only 2 years... That shows you how unkind I am to my devices.

EDIT : You may want to wait until the PTT goes out completely, that way even if it doesn't work with the makeshift fix, it's already broken so it shouldn't matter. But if you do it now and something doesn't work... Don't blame me

Cheers!
Rahul
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:51:11 AM by Rahul Parkar »

Colton Davis

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
Quote from: Matthew Bartels

Sounds like its well built,  I wouldn't complain at all if anyone else comes across these for a cheaper price.   I don't seem to be having too much luck.

Cameron Negrete

• ZLC Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://
ATC Headsets
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 01:43:41 AM »
Foot Push to talk is the best.  Tried once and loved it, really frees up the hands.

Andrew Doubleday

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis ARTCC
ATC Headsets
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 06:05:50 PM »
Hey there... Just recently put in an order for work through Albany Distributors (USB PTT Adapter)... I can send the personal contact info of one of the leads there who can put an order in.

www.albanyheadsets.com/plantronics is the website.

They've got some of the cheapest prices I've seen out there for the headsets and all sorts of accessories (eartips, extension cables, etc.).

They offer both the H31 Starset and the H81 TriStar for good rates there. They're webpage is still under development, but we got in touch with the main company customer service, Albany Distributors, and they sorted our orders out very quickly (again, I'll send the contact info for this guy should anyone be interested).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:43:59 PM by Andrew Doubleday »

Andrew Doubleday

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Minneapolis ARTCC
ATC Headsets
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 06:10:32 PM »
The foot petals are also quite good, Delcom sells some decent ones that will run you around $40 or so. I prefer that when sitting down as apposed to the handheld PTT as Cameron mentioned, it frees up your hands for strip marking/keyboard entries.

Something else I noticed, the H31 Dhruv has here is definitely a bargain price, but I don't believe that is the Controller/Dispatch version (at least it doesn't appear to be). I used to use that headset and it definitely lasted a while, but one thing I've learned to appreciate about the C/D version is the thinner wire to the quick disconnect makes it easier to move around with and I believe the audio quality is a a bit more boosted on the C/D version. I bought mine over the summer from ebay as well, but the one from Albany headsets for $50 is a steal for that version...

I've probably gone way too much into Plantronics products here, but they make a solid headset (I think someone is pulling pranks on BW at work  )... I've never really had a major problem with anything from them that I've purchased.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:47:52 PM by Andrew Doubleday »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:49 PM »
Quote from: Andrew Doubleday
The foot petals are also quite good, Delcom sells some decent ones that will run you around $40 or so. I prefer that when sitting down as apposed to the handheld PTT as Cameron mentioned, it frees up your hands for strip marking/keyboard entries.

Something else I noticed, the H31 Dhruv has here is definitely a bargain price, but I don't believe that is the Controller/Dispatch version (at least it doesn't appear to be). I used to use that headset and it definitely lasted a while, but one thing I've learned to appreciate about the C/D version is the thinner wire to the quick disconnect makes it easier to move around with and I believe the audio quality is a a bit more boosted on the C/D version. I bought mine over the summer from ebay as well, but the one from Albany headsets for $50 is a steal for that version...

I've probably gone way too much into Plantronics products here, but they make a solid headset (I think someone is pulling pranks on BW at work  )... I've never really had a major problem with anything from them that I've purchased.
AJ,

Could you PM me the contact? I could probably get them a decent order from the guys at ZDV.

Wesley Miles

• Mentors
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
AJ,

Could you PM me the contact? I could probably get them a decent order from the guys at ZDV.

Same here Andrew, I've got my own headset I use in the tower and I'd like to get that USB adapter you spoke of.  Thanks!

Kevin Kelm

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
Foot pedal idea seems like a good one. Due to the very old codecs used by VRC, I honestly don't think a quality microphone is worth really worth it besides for controller comfort. Its amazing how much controllers sound alike because of the current codecs; we'll see what happens with vStars.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:33:08 PM by Kevin Kelm »

Harold Rutila

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
Quote from: Kevin Kelm
Foot pedal idea seems like a good one. Due to the very old codecs used by VRC, I honestly don't think a quality microphone is worth really worth it besides for controller comfort. Its amazing how much controllers sound alike because of the current codecs; we'll see what happens with vStars.
Trust me, a good quality microphone makes all the difference between sounding like talking through a can of Progresso or actually being understandable. Not all pilots use the "realistic VHF frequency" setting, either. And how is vSTARS going to change the network codec?

Kevin Kelm

• Members
    • View Profile
ATC Headsets
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 03:43:04 PM »
Quote from: Harold Rutila
Trust me, a good quality microphone makes all the difference between sounding like talking through a can of Progresso or actually being understandable. Not all pilots use the "realistic VHF frequency" setting, either. And how is vSTARS going to change the network codec?

It is my understanding that it is the radar client that controls the voice codecs. See Ross's response to the poster (post #2) here:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/forums/viewto...1c60ad25524bb37
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 03:47:48 PM by Kevin Kelm »