JFK FNO

Marc Ernst

• Instructors
    • View Profile
JFK FNO
« on: September 10, 2021, 09:05:04 PM »
When i heard that JFK was having an FNO i new that it was gonna be one of the biggest FNO's Vatsim has seen in a while.. what i didnt expect was that i was held on Chicago Ground for 3+ hours for absolutley no reason, I departed chicago finally at 0150 Zulu, now noticing that i can no longer participate in the FNO im making the decisions if i should continue the flight or just close out of my sim. Why fly an FNO when you cant even Participate. Very Disappointed with this FNO

Ryan Pitt

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: JFK FNO
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2021, 10:03:43 PM »
When i heard that JFK was having an FNO i new that it was gonna be one of the biggest FNO's Vatsim has seen in a while.. what i didnt expect was that i was held on Chicago Ground for 3+ hours for absolutley no reason, I departed chicago finally at 0150 Zulu, now noticing that i can no longer participate in the FNO im making the decisions if i should continue the flight or just close out of my sim. Why fly an FNO when you cant even Participate. Very Disappointed with this FNO

It's called a ground stop...it is how it works.
Ryan Pitt
ZKC C1

Noah Perlman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:43:17 PM »
Here we go...
𝐍𝐨𝐚𝐡 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐧
ZDC Mentor

Former PCF TA/FE

Ryan Drozd

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 01:03:28 AM »

rawr xd

Ryan Drozd
ZHU Training Administrator 
[email protected]

Ryan Drozd

• Instructors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 01:05:44 AM »

To make a point... 3 hours is a long time but at the same time what did you expect?

Ryan Drozd
ZHU Training Administrator 
[email protected]

Michael LaRosh

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 01:25:58 AM »

To make a point... 3 hours is a long time but at the same time what did you expect?

To Ryan's point after I saw all the routes posted last night I already could tell that this event was going to end up like this. The main reason is that at the start of the event everyone had to be put on the same STAR and transition. So I'm not surprised it broke down as fast as it did.

Michael LaRosh
vZHU EC
[email protected]

Nolan Danziger

• Mentors
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 10:42:02 AM »

Uh... The reason is that 260+ aircraft were trying to land at the same time. There was absolutely a reason. You even acknowledged that you "new it was gonna be one of the biggest FNO's Vatsim has seen in a while"
Zoomer 😎

Derek Hood

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 11:27:22 AM »
Ahhh, another post where someone is complaining when ZNY had 260+ arrivals at one point.  Tell me you don’t understand without telling me you don’t understand…..

Derek

Finn Hutter

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »
Ah yes. What everyone told ZNY happened exactly as expected, and ZNY is going to Herald about how great this single airport fno was and how it went perfectly.

Changes made to the fno structure were to help eliminate or atleast alleviate ground delays by spreading out the traffic. This event worked in exactly the opposite spirit of the new requirements, and they are going to say it went flawlessly when it didn't.
Finn Hutter
ZAB, C1 & Assistant FE

Karl Mathias Moberg

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • NYARTCC
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 05:20:16 PM »
and ZNY is going to Herald about how great this single airport fno was and how it went perfectly.

Please, Skylar, show me where you have seen any ZNY staff member, or controller saying that. I have not had a single one so far.

Karl Mathias Moberg (KM) - C3/I1
New York ARTCC
ZNY Air Traffic Manager

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »
and ZNY is going to Herald about how great this single airport fno was and how it went perfectly.

Please, Skylar, show me where you have seen any ZNY staff member, or controller saying that. I have not had a single one so far.
https://forums.vatusa.net/index.php?topic=10265.msg46292#msg46292
Cheers,
-R.

Karl Mathias Moberg

• Instructors
    • View Profile
    • NYARTCC
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 06:53:20 AM »

https://forums.vatusa.net/index.php?topic=10265.msg46292#msg46292

Did you even read the post you’re linking to? He’s not saying it went perfectly, but under the circumstances was a success. I’ll say two things:
1. We - the senior staff of ZNY have been talking about the event since it happened, and all agree that 260 arrivals combined with a network that was a disaster, moved the bar for a successful or great event significantly higher and we did not reach it.
2. We been monitoring the VATSIM forums, Discord, VATUSA Forums, Reddit, Twitter and Facebook pages, as well as our own normal ways of feedback after the event for pilot feedback, and this thread here is one of the extremely few pieces of bad feedback we’ve received about the event from pilots. In fact, our more publicly known controllers have all been receiving messages privately in the dozens from pilots, saying they liked the event.

As our EC stated in the briefs prior to the event, we did this to test a theory that single-field FNOs were possible to pull off again (with the support from VATUSA, I might add.) And we pretty clearly have the numbers and data to make a conclusion on this.

I’m leaving this post as as my last public comment on this thread though. If anyone has concerns, feedback or want to talk about this, feel free to contact me directly at any time in the dozens of ways that can be done, Discord, Email, PM, Slack or get my phone number from any ZNY staff member, or take this up with VATUSA7 or 15.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 07:10:27 AM by Karl Mathias Moberg »

Karl Mathias Moberg (KM) - C3/I1
New York ARTCC
ZNY Air Traffic Manager

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 11:11:46 AM »
Yes, I did.  I hope you saw my response this morning.

Don't bang the drum on that 260 number too much.  That's 260 who didn't divert or disconnect out of frustration when they got held or groundstopped to oblivion.
Cheers,
-R.

Nico Marvin

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 08:13:16 AM »
This just re-affirms why there are no more FNO's.........
Nico Marvin ZJX Senior Student

Noah Perlman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 08:20:45 PM »
This just re-affirms why there are no more FNO's.........
What do you mean? There are still FNO's.
𝐍𝐨𝐚𝐡 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐧
ZDC Mentor

Former PCF TA/FE