Flight Sim being open.

Cameron Edwards

• Members
    • View Profile
Flight Sim being open.
« on: July 31, 2023, 01:08:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if to control on vatsim you need to have MSFS open or if you can control from the vatsim applications only. I’m also still in training so what software do you recommend I get? I believe there are several options.

Mike Bencivenga

• ZDV Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Sim being open.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »
ATC requires you to have specific controllking software, but does not require to have your flight sim open, unless you are using tower view. Which basically allows you to control, as well as get a tower vies of the aircraft in and around the tower. It is by no means required but many people like it. The software option right now are:

VCR - very user friendly, but will be stop being supported soon as there a new radar client being developed.

vSTARS- used mostly for App/DEP but also used for Tower and Ground, but also used by some ARTCCs to teach from the ground up

vERAM - only for enroute controlling. You wont need this until you start working on your C1

The ARTCC you join should have their own training policy and recommendations of which software to use. I would ask them, once you join an ARTCC and they will be abler to guide you in the right direction.

Robert Shearman Jr

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Slant Alpha Adventures
Re: Flight Sim being open.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 02:25:34 PM »
To clarify slightly:
(a) the less realistic, more point-and-click software is called "VRC" not "VCR"; and
(b) *all three* of these are to be supplanted by the upcoming release of CRC.
With said release likely still being at least months away at this point, best course is to stay with VRC, vSTARS and vERAM for now instead of waiting for the software change.

VRC is the most common choice for beginning controllers, but some facilities are starting students on vSTARS which can be used for Delivery, Ground, and Tower services pretty easily also.  And I believe that vSTARS is the only one of the three which facilitates a proxy connection for a Tower View.  VRC definitely does not; I don't think vERAM does either but that one I'm not certain about.

Whichever facility you end up choosing and training with will advise whether they prefer you train on VRC or vSTARS, so, choose a facility and follow their Training team's guidance.  If you later wish to switch to another client once you're comfortable and familiar with how to provide ATC services at your desired level, that's up to you.