Update on Oakland Oceanic

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vatusa.net
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:48:23 PM »
For some time, the future of this sector has been somewhat tentative, and I apologize that I have not effectively communicated what is happening there.  Thanks to the efforts of those who have come before me, a partnership is being developed in conjunction with the VATSIM Oceania Region and some its member divisions to provide for better coverage of the Pacific Ocean which will be managed by a six member Board with two representatives from each affected division, one of which is to be the Division Director.  We are working toward a system by which an endorsement to work Oceanic in any one of the sectors contained within the partnership would allow the member to provide services in any of the others.  This is essentially an agreement of reciprocity in training and airspace endorsement, and should not be construed as a Pacific Ocean “Super Center” type of sector.  However it will allow members from different divisions to work together in these airspaces and provide more consistency in coverage and a broader number of controllers qualified to provide services in Oakland Oceanic.    Currently, the SOP and Training Standards have been ironed out as a result of efforts that happened before my tenure as VATUSA1.  What remains are some infrastructure and organizational issues that need to be finished in order to realize this partnership as a reality.  The timetable for the completion of the partnership is somewhat ambiguous due to staffing changes and time available.  Until the partnership is fully implemented, it is my intention to reopen the ZAK airspace on its own.  Once the partnership is completed, ZAK can very easily merge into it, but there is no reason to leave Oakland Oceanic in a state of limbo while these final preparations are taking place.  It is expected that the ZAK airspace will be back up and running by November 15, 2009 at the latest.
Andrew Podner

Richard Dawson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:18:39 AM »
Andrew ,

Making sure I understand this correctly ,

ZAK will no longer be under the Jurisdiction of ZOA ,
but rather the new partnership with Oceania ?

And this new partnership would include 2 representatives from Zoa ?

Rich Dawson
Acting HCF ATM
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:45:44 AM by richard dawson »
Richard Dawson 861442

HCF ATM
[email protected]

Tom Seeley

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »
ZAK as I understand it is a stand-alone facility, for now. When the new, multi-sector combined facility is complete, it will include much of the airspace in the Pacific including ZAK, and be administered by a FAB consisting of two individuals from each of the member regions, which are VATUSA, VATPAC and VATNZ. Each of these has operated its own Oceanic airspace in the past; with this system as Andrew said above, controllers certified for one will be certified for the others, and each member will certify its own controllers. ZOA has no direct involvement, again as I understand it.
Tom Seeley
Deputy Director (Retired), VATUSA

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:41:55 AM »
Tom has pretty much hit the nail on the head.  My understanding was that even before the ZAK site went down in June, it was not managed by ZOA.  In any event, the terms of the partnership dictate that the DD from each division plus one other member from each division be on the FAB.
Andrew Podner

Richard Dawson

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:02:17 AM »
Thanks Guys , that clears it up !

Rich Dawson
Acting HCF Atm
Richard Dawson 861442

HCF ATM
[email protected]

Ian Elchitz

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:21:43 PM »
I still have the entire ZAK website if anyone is interested in bringing it back to life again.

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
do you have the database too?  Please send me whatever you have.  Thanks!!!!!
Andrew Podner

Kyle Weber

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:02:20 PM »
How will this affect current ZAK-endorsed controllers?
Kyle Weber
Minneapolis ARTCC C3/PPL
Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:30:53 PM »
Anyone who has controlled ZAK_FSS in the last year (10/22/08 to 10/21/2009) will be able to return to ZAK with their privileges restored.  Those who have not controlled in that time will need to go through a check out procedure to have their controlling privileges restored.

We have a list of those folks and when the airspace is reopened, we will deal with it as those persons reapply.  Also when the Pacific Group is activated, there will be a checkout of some form, possibly a written test, to ensure all controllers meet the endorsement guidelines that have been agreed upon.
Andrew Podner

Kyle Weber

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 12:02:56 AM »
Please send me a message when the airspace is restored, I would like to have my ZAK endorsement renewed as soon as possible.

Thank you.
Kyle Weber
Minneapolis ARTCC C3/PPL
Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer

Thomas Flanary

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
Hmm.... The only US Based Radio that isn't currently managed by that facility. Awesome.
[div align=\'center\']Tom Flanary
Visit ZMA. Click here![/div][/size]

Alex Bailey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
Quote from: Tom Flanary
Hmm.... The only US Based Radio that isn't currently managed by that facility. Awesome.

It's an entire oceanic agreement that covers much more than Oakland Oceanic. A partnership of this magnitude will improve the staffing of the entire oceanic airspace stretching from continent to continent, which will improve service to the pilots on the network. Indeed, it is awesome.

Sean Harrison

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »
So the question is,

If we were previously on the roster, what specific steps do we now have to follow to get back on the roster?

From what I am reading we have to re-apply.................  If that is the case seems a bit silly to me.
Sean
HCF C1/O

Andrew Podner

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 03:54:11 PM »
Quote from: Sean Harrison
So the question is,

If we were previously on the roster, what specific steps do we now have to follow to get back on the roster?

From what I am reading we have to re-apply.................  If that is the case seems a bit silly to me.

It may seem silly, but since our database was wiped out it is necessary.  Go to the website, fill out the app, if you controlled within the time period stated above, your certs will be restored.
Andrew Podner