Who is the final authority?

Matt Fuoco

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »
Quote from: Scott DeWoody
If you are referring to threads that create some thought provoking questions/ideas and you don't like or agree with them, my recommendation is just not to read them.

Thought provoking is good!  It is just when thought provoking turns into a broken record.  And, yes...not reading them is an option that I often take advantage of.

Brian Pryor

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
Quote from: Matt Fuoco
Thought provoking is good!  It is just when thought provoking turns into a broken record.

Amen and we have the same songs to dance to often of late, from one artist/band
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:04:14 PM by Brian Pryor »

Scott DeWoody

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
So, here's a thought provoking question:

If you are dancing to a song, and you're not getting it right, do you just forget it and move on to a different song, or keep dancing to that same song until you get it right?

Roland Collins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 06:47:30 AM »
If a person has a rule or policy that affects their workplace then any question about it should go their immediate workplace supervisor. Rules and policies are in written form to provide an authorative reference. Any “correspondence” about the interpretation or applicability of rules or policies should be in writing between the parties; no question.

The ultimate authority on the interpretation of any rule or policy is the body that administers the rule or policy; which is clearly identified within the document or at its source.

Now to the question of how to “correspond” in such matters.

Written correspondence is preferred (read essential) since it is easy and also provides an essential audit trail. This is very important in ensuring proper follow-up takes place.

Email is private; being the modern electronic counterpart of traditional private mail. Any correspondence, including email, may be subject to privacy considerations. Email has become a significant part of modern “correspondence” in and out of most organizations. Banks, airlines and even VATSIM send me business email.

Within an organization email is the most common way for staff to communicate; replacing the old written MEMO. The parties are known to each other and identified by their name and position title.

In writing email, if you wish a matter to be “Private & Confidential” than you say so within the email; otherwise the recipient may share the content in a way that is consistent with their role and responsibilities within the organisation AND IN NO OTHER WAY.

It is wise to seek the other party’s permission before sharing private email content with others. In any event, the content of private email should not be shared within forums.

I believe all of the above is generally understood.

Forums are a different matter since be definition a forum is; “A public meeting or assembly for open discussion.”  

Fundamentally an electronic forum is the text counterpart of the traditional voice forum with comment to and fro. Electronic forums offer more variety than the traditional voice forums in respect of participation and purpose.

An electronic forum within an organization may be used for a variety of purposes. Apart from the basic forum activity; an electronic text forum can also be used as one of the broadcast modes available to an organization. Typically an organization will use multiple communication methods when making a broadcast since one single method may not reach everyone. Email only goes to those on the email list at the time and not those who come along later. An electronic forum provides an archive but then not everyone reads forums. Communication is very important but a perfect system is not always possible; particularly in a dynamic environment.

When an electronic forum is used to post an official notice it can be a “one-way” communication; just the same as pinning up a written notice at an outdoor forum. If you write on the bottom of the outdoor forum notice it does not mean that your response will be seen by the author of the notice; but it might if they pass that way again.

VATSIM forums are continuously monitored by senior staff and a genuine post on an important matter will generally get a response. However, as mentioned earlier, a forum response may resolve a matter for an individual but it doesn’t necessarily get delivered to all who need to know.

A forum discussion only has a real value when it results in a change outside of the forums; the forum discussion itself is not the real objective. In the case of rules and policies, the outcome of forum discussion may be that the source document is changed; either to add or remove items or change word in order to clarify the meaning. Private correspondence or forum discussion all over the place doesn’t help in achieving uniformity. When the source document is changed it stands as an authorative statement for everyone.

If you want to bring about change or receive clarification on any matter then it is much better to write directly to the person concerned rather than ask questions in an open public forum; where you are likely to get lots of different opinions. The appropriate person should respond to genuine correspondence as a responsibility of their role. As mentioned earlier; the audit trail associated with written correspondence allows you to follow up if a timely reply has not been received.

I have shared my thoughts about the “authority” of documents and “effective communication”. In doing so I don’t think I have told you anything new or said anything that has been absolutely earth-shattering or ground-breaking.

Roland Collins
VATSIM co-Founder
VATSIM VP Regions

J Jason Vodnansky

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
Roland,

Can I depend on this forum post NOT to be viewed later by someone simply saying "Its a forum post, and cannot be considered as anything other than his opinion."

For the record, I understand, and completely agree with your statements here.  But having been told all of the following before, forgive me if I am a bit skeptical.  Rhetorically, I find myself asking...

Why now?
What took so long?

I am not looking for answers to those two questions, just the questions running through my head.

Thanks for the reply,
Jason Vodnansky

Roland Collins

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 06:58:19 PM »
Quote from: J. Jason Vodnansky
Roland,

Can I depend on this forum post NOT to be viewed later by someone simply saying "Its a forum post, and cannot be considered as anything other than his opinion."

For the record, I understand, and completely agree with your statements here.  But having been told all of the following before, forgive me if I am a bit skeptical.  Rhetorically, I find myself asking...

Why now?
What took so long?

I am not looking for answers to those two questions, just the questions running through my head.

Thanks for the reply,
Jason Vodnansky

Jason, I presume your last two questions are about my response above. I don't post often as a Founder because I like to see others working through issues and concerns for themselves; and usually they do that quite successfully. Sitting back reading forums allows me to view the capabilities of others and also provides insight to their motives. There is an old saying; "When Peter tells you something about Paul you learn more about Peter than about Paul."

As Founders we oversee all things. I will jump in if I see something that is incorrect, going in the wrong direction or going around in circles; since none of these are good for VATSIM.

Now to your first question; about being able to rely on my forum post. If I answer YES Jason you could just as easily come back and ask if you can rely on my YES.  

You have said that you already understood what I was saying and I was aware in writing that I wasn't really telling anyone anything new. I think everyone understands it so that matter is over and should end. PERIOD  

Having signed with my full title as a Founder and a Governor you can take it as being the behavior that VATSIM expects.

Any member writing email or any member writing forums posts should stop and think about exactly what it is they doing; and what they expect to achieve for VATSIM as an outcome of their contribution. The objective should always be to move VATSIM forward in its mission.

In relation to the interpretation of a rule or policy; any email or forum post should be:
  • Written by a person with direct or delegated authority in the matter
  • Verified as being true by checking with the author or authorative source.
  • Signed with the person's name and title
  • Dated
  • Made a sticky in the case of a forum post.
Simple matters of clarifiction may ensue, that's normal, but any lengthy discussion generally means that the article need to be rewritten so that the matter is clear for all. A lengthy discussion is not the end; only a means to reach the end.

Remember; "When the source document is changed it stands as an authorative statement for everyone."

Roland Collins
VATSIM co-Founder
VATSIM VP Regions
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:01:06 PM by Roland Collins »