Headsets...?

Chris Neuwirth

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
Hey all, I believe its time to upgrade my headset from the $20 radio shack version to something a little higher quality and a little more comfortable to wear for longer controlling sessions. What are you other controllers/pilots using and how would you rate them?

Bradley Grafelman

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
I used a pair of Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6As for a while and loved 'em... right up until I went through two pairs due to breaking them. Apparently my big head was doing battle with a section of plastic in a certain area and won... twice.

I've since ordered a Logitech G930 and am giving it a go. So far, it seems like a nice headset... though I do miss one or two aspects from the Z6As. I liked the individual channel control on the Z6A since it allowed me to easily manage the volume of TeamSpeak and my controlling frequency. I think the G930 has more sound isolation qualities because I found myself needing to seriously ramp up the sidetone volume in order for it to "feel" right when I started talking.

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
I use the Plantronics H31 Starset along with a PTT. Very comfortable.
Ryan Geckler - GK
VATUSA9 | Traffic Management Unit Director
Former VATUSA3 | Division Training Director
Minneapolis ARTCC | RW Miami ARTCC

Matthew Bartels

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:57:44 AM »
Quote from: Ryan Geckler

+1 for plantronics gear. That stuff is the real deal. I get ragey any time I have to use a keyboard PTT key now.
Matt Bartels - MT
VP Marketing and Communication
VATSIM Board of Governors

Chris Neuwirth

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:30 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys- now I at least know where to start looking

Bradford Lee

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:47:12 AM »
Quote from: Matthew Bartels
+1 for plantronics gear. That stuff is the real deal. I get ragey any time I have to use a keyboard PTT key now.

I use Plantronics at work with dispatch. Suppose I should switch to it to be consistent. Plus would help with Eve Online in fleets.

Matthew Jessick

• Members
    • View Profile
    • http://
Headsets...?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Brad Lee
I use Plantronics at work with dispatch. Suppose I should switch to it to be consistent. Plus would help with Eve Online in fleets.

I've used their professional stuff in the past - and agree it's great. I tried some Plantronics low end commercial gear and I'm not sure it's any better than anybody elses low end stuff. (Their current headsets I have aren't as nice as their older stuff I wore out over 10 years. I'm using my wife's now because my newer model wore out after a few years.)

What I do like is a Plantronics switch that lets me switch back and forth between the headset and speakers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:14:35 PM by Matthew Jessick »

Chris Neuwirth

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 07:53:17 PM »

That sounds like the way to go for me, I've got a Turtle Beach headset which works just fine but a little rough on the ears after a few minutes. Do you have to buy the PTT separately? If so, any recommendations on that? Also, does it plug directly into the microphone and headphone ports in the computer or do you need some sort of adapter?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:58:32 PM by Christopher Neuwirth »

Ryan Geckler

• Mentors
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:55 AM »
Quote from: Christopher Neuwirth
That sounds like the way to go for me, I've got a Turtle Beach headset which works just fine but a little rough on the ears after a few minutes. Do you have to buy the PTT separately? If so, any recommendations on that? Also, does it plug directly into the microphone and headphone ports in the computer or do you need some sort of adapter?

The PTT is separate, and the most expensive part of the whole setup. The downside with Plantronics gear is that you will need to buy some sort of USB adapter. You have two options: the SHS2355 (PTT), or the DA40 (non-PTT). The DA40 is running around $35-50 (probably cheaper on eBay), and the PTT is going for $104 right now on eBay (and its the only one!) and around $150 on headset sites. If you really want to get fancy, there is a wireless version of the PTT that runs for about $350. Just look around for deals.
Ryan Geckler - GK
VATUSA9 | Traffic Management Unit Director
Former VATUSA3 | Division Training Director
Minneapolis ARTCC | RW Miami ARTCC

Chris Neuwirth

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:06 PM »
The PTT is separate, and the most expensive part of the whole setup. The downside with Plantronics gear is that you will need to buy some sort of USB adapter. You have two options: the SHS2355 (PTT), or the DA40 (non-PTT). The DA40 is running around $35-50 (probably cheaper on eBay), and the PTT is going for $104 right now on eBay (and its the only one!) and around $150 on headset sites. If you really want to get fancy, there is a wireless version of the PTT that runs for about $350. Just look around for deals.

Wow, think I'll just stick with the headphones for a while- I love the idea of the Plantronics set-up but not quite ready to fork over that kind of money! Thanks a lot for the information though.

Jakub Wesolowski

• Members
    • View Profile
Headsets...?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 09:18:50 AM »
Here is something you might like. I use it and I'm happy with it.  Clarity of the sound is perfect and you can use FSFDTCP on FSInn to separate the voice from the engine sounds mimicking a real thing.  Because it comes in both USB and plugs for the headset, I use the USB which basically mimics a separate sound card, that is how I am able to separate the two.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound...ic3D-Alpha.aspx

Another alternative:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound...ic3d-Sigma.aspx

And its full line up:
http://www.soundblaster.com/gaming/headsets.aspx

Here they are for $49:
www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_20/182-4717329-1373234?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sound blaster tactic 3d alpha&sprefix=Sound+Blaster+Tactic%2Caps%2C312

Let us know what you think... Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:21:52 AM by Jakub Wesolowski »