Good morning Seattle?

Brian Sommers

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Airhops
Good morning Seattle?
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:16:39 AM »
Where are the controllers?  It's 1620z now?

Did this get cancelled?

Chris McGee

• Members
    • View Profile
Good morning Seattle?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »
They were on early this morning. Maybe no one could make it this week?

Brayden Manzella

• Members
    • View Profile
    • VATUSA
Good morning Seattle?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »
John,

The event was not cancelled. It was advertised as a Training Day for our students. The turnout I am getting from the event was students that do not need Online training. They wanted lecture training. I can't really put a student who is not ready to control on a position. I am sorry that there were no controllers that were online for you. If you have any other concerns, feel free to email me at [email protected], and I hope this does not deter you from flying in our airspace.

Thank you,
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 12:19:49 PM by Brayden Manzella »
Brayden Manzella
VATUSA Team Development Manager

Brad Littlejohn

• Members
    • View Profile
Good morning Seattle?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 12:27:02 PM »
Quote from: Brayden Manzella
John,

The event was not cancelled. It was advertised as a Training Day for our students. The turnout I am getting from the event was students that do not need Online training. They wanted lecture training. I can't really put a student who is not ready to control on a position. I am sorry that there were no controllers that were online for you. If you have any other concerns, feel free to email me at [email protected], and I hope this does not deter you from flying in our airspace.

Thank you,

I don't blame you for that. Lectured training will not cut it when they panic from an influx of arrivals and departures that leave them so swamped that they leave.

While not knowing how you had this set up, you could do a bit of both, however (meaning, lectured and training on the scopes).

Back in my student days the ATM at the time (who had recently retired from being ATC at Burbank Tower and became an English teacher in the UK) held a lecture-style training session at LAX Tower; he controlled aircraft coming in (obviously had those trained/certified on above him), talked about the calls he made and WHY he made them in that order, concepts around such calls, and took questions. Those that attended logged on as observers. I want to say we had a good 30 students and observers that day just listening to him. Out of all the training sessions I have, I rank that as either #1 or #2.

I could see you doing something like that up there.

BL.